Spell Catcher and Mellel

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

shades
Knows everything, can prove it

Spell Catcher and Mellel

Post by shades »

I have the latest version of Mellel and 10.8. Everything worked fine with spell checking until this last upgrade. No, no matter what I do, Spell Catcher is not signally any errors. I intentionally misspell some to see if it works. I had not changed either program in terms of preferences, etc. Is there something that I am missing?
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
DRB

Re: Spell Catcher and Mellel

Post by DRB »

I suspect that Spell Catcher has not been updated for Mountain Lion.

Apart from that, I have never had any luck with Spell Catcher, so I haven't tried it with Mountain Lion.

Don Broadribb
shades

Post by shades »

It works in Nisus Writer and Scrivener.
Rich

Bulow

Post by Bulow »

Mellel 3.0.1 and OS 10.7.4 Spellchecking does not work at all.
Bülow
shades

Post by shades »

Looking at the rainmaker web site, it looks there will no longer be any development, since its creator, Evan Gross, died at the end of June.
Rich

Bulow

Post by Bulow »

Sorry, I had misunderstood. I did not even know of the existence of Spell Catcher. I was just talking of the ordinary spelling facility in Mellel in the Edit menu. That is what does not work for me, but used to.
Bülow
shades

Post by shades »

I agree Bulow, that the basic spell checker in Mellel does not work properly. If I have “check spelling as you type” then the word is highlighted, but the window never shows up (as it indicates in the manual). If I wait to check at the end of the writing, then the misspelled words are highlighted in red, but no window comes up to either learn, or whatever.

The beauty of Spell Catcher is that it could be used in any program on the Mac, and even variations for each program. And it operated the same across the board.

So, what do others use for spell checking?
Rich

DRB

Post by DRB »

I use Aspell. But I find no problem whatever when using Apple's built in spell checker with Mountain Lion and Mellel 3.0.1...

Don Broadribb
Bulow

Post by Bulow »

Well, since Mellel's spellchecker gave up, quite recently, I use The Concise Oxford Dictionary and look very closely at what I have written. But I would like to have the electronic one back.
Bulow
Bulow

Post by Bulow »

I am just trying to revive this thread. I have launched the issue in the parallel Nitty-Gritty forum and written directly to support, but no reaction. Here, at least, I feel that there are others who suffer from this lack of spell-checking. Could we have it back, please? Or just a reaction that the Redlers are aware of the problem and trying to solve it?
Bülow
jesusbristow
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by jesusbristow »

As a person who had been using Spellcatcher for ages, and as a person who still can't spell (lol), I gave up on Spellcatcher.

Their app basically did what it wanted when it wanted and controlling what it was doing was pointless. You'd have more lucky getting a burning cock spaniel to sit still than getting Spellcatcher to work.

I don't miss it at all in ML.
shades

Post by shades »

I had finally gotten Spell Catcher to work well with SL and Lion, but when the developer died nothing was done by anyone else.

Aside from Mellel, SC still works fine for me.
Rich

Feanaaro
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Feanaaro »

I am experiencing the same problem, spell checker (not the separate program, the spell check included with mellel) does not work at all with the last version (3.01b2, with 10.7.4 in my case).
I did contact redlers through the form, but haven't received an answer yet.
Bulow

Post by Bulow »

Thank you! Finally someone exactly in my position: 3.0.1 b2 and Lion who has also tried writing directly. How does one get the Redlers to answer?
Bülow
Feanaaro
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Feanaaro »

I think I've got what the problem is, at least in my case.
For some reason, Mellel stopped assigning a language in the "character" (or is it "font" in english?) tab (the one with the T anyway). That apparently disable spell checking. If I re-assign a language to the text, then spell check is back in full swing, I notice that because apparently I had one document in which the language has been previously correctly assigned, and that was the only one in which the spell check worked.
Now if only I could get an handle of how this thing of assigning a language through the "T" tab really is supposed to work (weird place for such a setting, in my humble opinion), that would be another step forward.