Inserted Image Slowing Mellel 3.0.1 to a Crawl

For all things Mellel

Moderators: redlers, Eyal Redler, Ori Redler

Marsilius
Already downloaded the guide

Inserted Image Slowing Mellel 3.0.1 to a Crawl

Post by Marsilius » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:11 pm

Sorry if this was addressed elsewhere, but I could not find it.
I inserted a pict file of about 700kb into my document in Mellel 3.0.1. It slows the program to a crawl with jagged motions on scrolling. I had extracted this graphic file as a pict file from Finale 2012. When I choose: "Insert" Image . . ." it shows up as a "QuickDraw picture".
I tried the same extraction as a jpeg (3.3 mb) and it works fine, but I want smaller high resolution images.
I'll futz around Finale to see if I can fix it from there, but in the meantime, any suggestions welcome!
Thanks,
Mars

jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Inserted Image Slowing Mellel 3.0.1 to a Crawl

Post by jannuss » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:08 pm

I use GraphicConverter to modify images before inserting them in Mellel -- select the the correct size and resolution before the insert.

I've never had a crash due to inserted images, but I do try to prevent images from creating filesize bloat.

One side issue: Files with a large number of floating images can be a real pain . . . and these have caused crashes . . . whenever possible I "anchor" my images to the text via the "in-line" option.

Janet

Marsilius
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Marsilius » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:12 am

Thanks for the tips, Janet.
The strange thing is that the image file is only the first one, and I have "in-line" chosen. And this file is not a problem in other programs yet. I'll take a shot and GraphicConverter.
Best,
Mars

ozean
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by ozean » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:53 pm

Have you tried to export the image in .png format? In contrast to jpg this is a lossless format but it still offers pretty decent file sizes. I used this for my last book and had about 150 png files embedded without any problems. (They were all greyscale, so the file sizes weren't that big anyway.)