Mellel won't work at all after latest update

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Joel Naber
Got the styles thing figured out

Mellel won't work at all after latest update

Post by Joel Naber »

Hello,

I have recently updated my copy of Mellel as Mellel suggested to me. Now Mellel won't work anymore at all. When I open the application, no window appears, only the Mellel menu appears in the top bar of MAC OS. The menu works, but when I choose "open new file", only a window appears that says "Open template", but this window looks damaged, and when I click the "Open"-Button in this window, nothing happens. The window also cannot be closed, only through closing the application. I have found that I can still open my existing Mellel files, and they are actually displayed properly, but I cannot enter any new text in them, not even a single letter.

My suspicion now is that this maybe due to the fact that I am still working with MAC OS 10.5. Maybe there has been some mention of this in the small print of the window that called for the update, but I didn't see it. Can you confirm my suspicion, and if it is true, can I get back a version of Mellel that will work with MAC OS 10.5?

Thank you for your help!
shades
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Mellel won't work at all after latest update

Post by shades »

Howdy. The manual says OX 10.5 is base requirements.

Are you on a PPC computer or Intel? If the former, then I don’t think it will work.

I make it a habit before installing new software to do some minimum maintenance work. Also, have you tried downloading again? That may help.

Just some rambling thoughts from an old codger.
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
Joel Naber

Post by Joel Naber »

Thank you for your reply, Shades.

I have uninstalled Mellel and downloaded again - nothing changed, same symptoms show. I have an Intel computer. I must admit that I haven't done any maintenance work recently. What kind of maintenance do you advise to do?
macsailor
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by macsailor »

Joel Naber wrote:Thank you for your reply, Shades.

I have uninstalled Mellel and downloaded again - nothing changed, same symptoms show. I have an Intel computer. I must admit that I haven't done any maintenance work recently. What kind of maintenance do you advise to do?
Try Cocktail or Onyx, they'll take care of the most maintenance work on my MBP.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
nigel
Already downloaded the guide

Post by nigel »

I had the same thing happen and I have a fix until things are repaired by redlers.

In my case this happened on 10.5 and 10.7. I have not tested 10.6.

There is something wrong with the Style Sets.
To make Mellel run open your library folder (user library not system). On 10.7 you have to do a Option Go Menu/Library.
Then open Application Support, then open Mellel, then open Style Sets.
Now Move all of your Style Set files to your desktop or another folder for safe keeping.

Mellel will now start on both 10.5 and 10.7 - at least in my hands.

On a related note if from within Mellel you do an Styles/Edit Style Sets you will see that you can create Style Sets but you cannot delete them.

Redlers Please fix this - I love my Style Sets.

Sincerely,
Nigel
nigel

Post by nigel »

Well darn it.
Just realized that now it runs but Mellel will open recently saved files.

Bummer,
Nigel
redlers
Site Admin

Post by redlers »

nigel wrote:Well darn it.
Just realized that now it runs but Mellel will open recently saved files.

Bummer,
Nigel
Nigel,

Does Mellel run now or doesn't it? I'm not sure I got this from this discussion.

Ori
redlers
Site Admin

Post by redlers »

Joel Naber wrote:Hello,

I have recently updated my copy of Mellel as Mellel suggested to me. Now Mellel won't work anymore at all. When I open the application, no window appears, only the Mellel menu appears in the top bar of MAC OS. The menu works, but when I choose "open new file", only a window appears that says "Open template", but this window looks damaged, and when I click the "Open"-Button in this window, nothing happens. The window also cannot be closed, only through closing the application. I have found that I can still open my existing Mellel files, and they are actually displayed properly, but I cannot enter any new text in them, not even a single letter.

My suspicion now is that this maybe due to the fact that I am still working with MAC OS 10.5. Maybe there has been some mention of this in the small print of the window that called for the update, but I didn't see it. Can you confirm my suspicion, and if it is true, can I get back a version of Mellel that will work with MAC OS 10.5?

Thank you for your help!
Well, we'll look into the matter but, in the meantime, you can simply move back to Mellel 3.1: http://d1riogbqt3a9uw.cloudfront.net/mellel310b18.dmg It'll enable you to hold the fort while we figure out if there is a problem with Mellel 3.2 on 10.5.x
nigel

Post by nigel »

After deleting all style sets it runs.
It may be usable BUT I cannot add files.
ALSO my most recent document file cannot be opened even though older ones can be and newly saved ones can be opened.

I am going to email you this file.

Nigel
nigel

Post by nigel »

The download does not work. I get this:
AccessDeniedAccess DeniedD2825EAAF920934AvDIwlxG828jHMsJFDIPA/IoYqy0UJJv37FhqX1j0M/9KJld+jI6a759M2e9tBPB6

Also, I am having this problem with different versions of Mellel.

Nigel
nigel

Post by nigel »

I see the problem now all the way back to 3.01.

2.72 does not have the problem - but it will open modern files.

Nigel
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

First a link to the previous version 3.1.3: http://d1riogbqt3a9uw.cloudfront.net/mellel313b1.dmg

Nigel: I'm not sure I understand the problem, what do you mean by adding files? Does it happen on 10.7 as well? Does it happen with Mellel 3.1.3?
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
nigel

Post by nigel »

To prevent Mellel from crashing I moved all the contents of /User/Library/Application Support/Mellel/Style Set to a different folder.
Now Mellel will start.
If I move just one of those style set files into the folder then Mellel crashes on start up.

I have emailed you one of the toxic style set files.

Nigel
nigel

Post by nigel »

I am having the problem on 10.7 as well.
However, this is my own fault. I keep the Mellel Library folder synchronized so that when I change a style on one computer it appears on the other ones. This has worked well for many years. However, the downside is that now all of my computers have toxic style sets on them.

Nigel
Joel Naber

Post by Joel Naber »

Dear Redlers,

thank you very much for the link to download Mellel 3.1.3. Now I have at least a working version.

Kind regards,
Joel