Scrivener Export to Mellel

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

flips
New to all this

Re: Scrivener Export to Mellel

Post by flips »

If I export "Titles and Text" to OPML in Scrivener, the structure is fine, but I seem to have lost some formatting. (I have used a particular style for quotes/blockquote, that's lost.)

Has anyone found a way to export with formatting/styles intact? (The styles doesn't need to look right, but it would be nice if the styles are recognized so I just can change the look of the style in Mellel.)
flips 8)
nicka
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by nicka »

I think that what you want is impossible at both ends.

Scrivener doesn't have proper text styles, only ad hoc text formatting. That can be applied with 'Presets', but Scrivener doesn't keep track of which text has been formatted with which preset. There's no way to apply a new format to all and only text previously formatted with a particular preset. (That is what makes Presets different from full-blown styles.)

Mellel does, of course, have a text style system, but it can't import text styles (in rtf or doc or docx).
Declan

Post by Declan »

That's true. But it could perhaps impose a style on all footnotes, for example. Or find all text in Bold 14pt Times New Roman, and make Section Heading (Autotitle + corresponding Paragraph Style).
I don't suppose anyone is going to go to much effort to style things in Scrivener, and then repeat the work in a Word Processor. For me, at least, the formatting should be done in Mellel. But I hate going through the document footnote by footnote telling Mellel that each of those footnotes should be footnote style. I think it's a question of improving the Find and Replace functionality.

Declan
nicka

Post by nicka »

I agree 100%. See my other post, upthread.

In this post I was only commenting on whether it's currently possible to do what flips is after: "to export with formatting/styles intact… it would be nice if the styles are recognized so I just can change the look of the style in Mellel." And the answer is that it's not.