defaults

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Bulow
Knows everything, can prove it

defaults

Post by Bulow »

I very often import texts, mostly from Word of course, into Mellel. Since I run a Microsoft-free machine, I always have to pass through Nisus or whatever to get rtf in order to get the footnotes. Then, when I import the resulting rtf I always get a text with line numbers, which I have to turn off. Never mind, but it would be easier to have to turn them on for the once a year when you want them. Of late, and this is new, I also get a text on a greay backround. Again, I can change it to white, but why?
In sum: couldn't Mellel be made to import doc and docx directly and correctly?
Bülow
rpcameron

Re: defaults

Post by rpcameron »

It could, but that would require the Redlers to write a DOC(X) importer. The DOC(X) importers used in Mellel are those that are part of OS X, and the features that are supported differ with every OS X version. To see what features *can* be imported look at which features TextEdit support, as that is the baseline; also, just because your version of TextEdit supports a feature, does not mean that Mellel will map that feature upon import.

The short answer is this: Mellel does not support DOC(X), but instead relies upon your OS to support. (The same is true for Word format export: what is exported is not DOC(X), but merely RTF with a DOC file extension.)
— Robert Cameron
Bulow

Re: defaults

Post by Bulow »

Yes, I know - we have been there before, both of us. But it does not solve the problem.
As for the real subject of my post, the unfortunate defaults: does anyone else have the same experience? And what are chances (Oh, Redlers!) of doing something about all this?
Bülow