Mellel or Pages

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Nifty
Got the auto-title mojo working

Mellel or Pages

Post by Nifty »

I am a surveyor/lawyer (don't ask!). I use M (latest version) for lengthy reports, I find it excellent, particularly autostyle, footnotes and line numbering.

I use Pages '09 for writing letters, usually one or two pages, rarely longer than half a dozen. Also I have Nisus Pro that I sometimes use for opening file formats.

I save all outgoing letters, etc to pdf, and keep the M or P letter to use as the basis for the next letter. Email incoming communications are often .doc or .docx (sent by Word users). To open .doc, I use either Nisus Pro or Pages, then print to pdf. (I suppose I could use M to open .doc/dox but hadn't thought of doing that before.

I am changing my current imac (running OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard) to a new IMac with OS Sierra. Sierra's version of Pages differs from the '09 version and from previous experience i expect to have to update templates and all existing saved 09 files to the Sierra version. Rather than continue to use two word-processors, I am considering confining to Mellel.

I'd appreciate please some input as to the advantages and disadvantages. Thank you.
jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Mellel or Pages

Post by jannuss »

The big question is: are you using multiple languages or just English?

I haven't spent too much time on Pages, but from what I see switching Right-to-Left/Left-to-right is still a chore.
Nifty
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by Nifty »

Just English (UK)
Bulow
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Bulow »

Your procedure is not unlike mine, except for Pages. Why do you use that? Mellel will serve as well for letters. I also use NisusPro for opening doc and docx and transfer them into rtf to import into Mellel. I changed to Sierra recently and after some initial hickups with NisusPro it now works as well as it used to. But wouldn't it be nice if we could open doc and docs (with footnotes) directly in Mellel?
Bülow