Mellel 4.1 is ready for beta testing...

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

redlers
Site Admin

Mellel 4.1 is ready for beta testing...

Post by redlers »

Hi to all of you!

Mellel 4.1 is ready for beta testing. This new version of Mellel introduces several new features in some key areas, which we're sure you'll enjoy.
Here are some of the key elements:
DOCX import support: you've been asking for it, and we've delivered. With Mellel 4.1 you'll be able to open DOCX documents, with support for pretty much all the key features that need to be supported. Your tests will be invaluable here.
• Space limit: with a block aligned text, one of the main problem is how to layout text properly when you have a longer word at the end of a line. Mellel 4.1 implements a solution to that with the ability to set space limits, so that the spacing between words may be tightened, to avoid awkward spacing between words, or the even more awkward larger letter spacing.
• Tracking: with Mellel 4.1 you'll be able to set letter spacing (tracking) as a character attribute (the setting is in 1,000th Em space).
• Auto-kerning: Mellel already supports kerning with OpenType fonts. Now this support is extended to any font which has kerning pairs. No more AWAV problems!
• Outline improvements: Mellel 4.1 further enhances the outline, with alternating colours (to make it easier to spot the right outline item), more sensible layout of the outline (e.g., no indention with the second line in an auto-title), an option to go old-school with truncated lines, and more.
Auto-indent improvements: Mellel 4.1 adds some streamlining improvements to the auto-indent feature. Main among those is a smarter way to handle continuing paragraphs on the same indent level.
• Story improvements: The story will get out of the way (and out of the natural flow of the document text) with story points clearly marked and defined, and not messing around with the layout when they're hidden.

Sounds interesting? Worth giving up on those tired new year's eve celebrations to send us bugs? Well, here's your chance to chime in and make a difference.

Go to https://www.mellel.com/subscribing-mellel-4-1-beta/ and register today, and gain access to our beta group. We promise to consider every request — and if you've participated in beta testing in the past, you're practically in.

Ori from Mellel
Gustave
Got the auto-title mojo working

Re: Mellel 4.1 is ready for beta testing...

Post by Gustave »

Great news !!

DOCX import is an import feature. I expected it.

But does that mean that the DOCX export will come too? That would be great !
Nifty
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by Nifty »

I would love there to be a vertical ruler.
Is that so very much to ask?
Please, thank you.
miles11
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by miles11 »

Nifty wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:26 am I would love there to be a vertical ruler.
Is that so very much to ask?
Please, thank you.
Here’s a freeware app you may find helpful until Mellel incorporates a ruler. This app is free and includes vertical and horizontal rulers. It seems to provide an accurate measurement if Mellel is set to ‘Mellel View’ and the document Zoom is set to 100 percent.

You can set the ruler’s length, use the vertical and horizontal rulers, or either one, set units to pixels or inches, etc.
I was going to post a screenshot but apparently Mellel’s forum software doesn’t allow it, and I don’t want to go through the hassle of finding a secondary site just to post a screenshot.

www.pascal.com/software/freeruler/
shades

Post by shades »

I am assuming that since I registered for the beta (via the link above) soon after it was announced here, and I have not heard any response, that I will not be beta testing. Was looking forward to it. I have been beta tester in the past 15 years.
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
Pharaoh
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by Pharaoh »

Dear Shades,
I have not heard about the link as yet. At the same time, I believe that the beta has not been released. So, you and I, as well as all the other beta tester volunteers may have to wait a bit longer.

Anyone can share more information about it.
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

Rest assured that you will get the beta. We are working very hard on the final details of the first build and we will release it in a couple of days. People who registered to the beta will receive a notification via email.
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
shades

Post by shades »

Thanks, Eyal. I thought maybe that was the case. But since my accident I have a little trouble sorting through thinking processes, and I lose track of items like this.
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )