how to remove auto-title attribute?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

ophiochos
New to all this

how to remove auto-title attribute?

Post by ophiochos »

Hi everyone

I've had licences for Mellel for absolutely ages but never got to grips with it. I am giving it another spin and have run into an issue: how do I remove the 'auto-titleness' of a piece of text? Say i decide I want something not be a header level 4 but rather part of a bullet list, I have been unable to strip the heading entirely (I can change it to a different one). Am I missing something obvious?;)
Thanks for any tips
Jason
ealvarez
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: how to remove auto-title attribute?

Post by ealvarez »

The only way I see is to use File/Replace Style. Could be tricky though as it will replace all texts with the auto-title attribute.
ophiochos
New to all this

Post by ophiochos »

Thanks. That does seem to be quite an oversight (and unfortunately is a complete deal-breaker for me).
DavidH

Post by DavidH »

The dynamic parts of an auto-title don't form part of the searchable text of a document in the first place, for reasons that have to do with its role in organizing the document and outline. I believe the closest you can get to what you want is a multi-step step process:

Select and copy the static part of your auto-title.
Delete the entire auto-title.
Start (or continue) the list to which you want to add the copied text.
Paste the copied text.
Reformat as needed.
laup

Post by laup »

I see no problem here with Mellel.

1. Copy the header in question (or, if numbered, just the text part)
2. Paste Special as Plain Text as a new line.
3. Delete the previous header. You can do as you wish with the string of text, as usual.

If you copied and pasted special an entire numbered auto title, such as "4.2.1 Sub Sub Sub Heading", then the pasted string would have a number. However, you can just delete the number and, again, the result will be pure text (not vestige or auto titling).
Paul