Figuring Out Epubs

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

AKMA
Got the auto-title mojo working

Figuring Out Epubs

Post by AKMA »

I am well pleased by version 5, and especially delighted with the export-to-epub option, which works more smoothly than any other such export with which I've worked.

I've been having trouble, though, with what you might call casually-formatted text. I've produced a number of Mellel-to-PDF texts that I'd now like to export to epub, and some legacy formatting doesn't handle the transition well.

My work is mainly academic, meaning that the vast preponderance of my writing involves only body copy, headings, and notes. These, I see, work splendidly (though I'm still working my way through the requirements of the auto-generated table of contents). That leaves out, though, the front matter of a book or article, and I can’t quite see how to lay out these pages in a way that produces well-behaved text copy.

If I could see the mark-up, I'm sure I could puzzle it out, so I can always perform a two-step 'export, then edit in a text editor' process — but a more elegant solution would be for me just to understand what Mellel is doing with the ad hoc formatting, so that I can interact with it more intelligently.

Again, a terrific job with the new version — thanks very much.
Marsilius
Already downloaded the guide

Re: Figuring Out Epubs

Post by Marsilius »

I love the Epub export, but had to figure out a few things. I am not sure if you are describing the same issue I had, but here goes: I wonder if you might play around with using autotitles. Under INSERT, then EDIT TITLE FLOWS, and make sure any headings you use are "included in TOC". That way every section you mark can be included as a separate unit of the Epub export. It took me while to figure that out and some help from the Redlers.