[Resolved] Numbering the footnotes

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

krysttof
Got the styles thing figured out

[Resolved] Numbering the footnotes

Post by krysttof »

Hello everyone
In the setting of the numbering of the footnotes (Insert > Note > Edit note attributes), in the Placement area, I don't understand the option Restart every page range. What does the term "page range" represent?
Thanks for your help
Last edited by krysttof on Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Numbering the footnotes

Post by Amontillado »

I bet I can answer this, even though I'm but an apprentice in the Mellel wizardry game.

Page ranges are delimited by "page style breaks," one of the types of breaks in the menu "insert->break."

From the manual, page 190:

Text in Mellel is divided into one or more page ranges, that include any number of pages that is required to fit the document elements you insert. Each page range begins and ends with a Page Style Break. Using these breaks you can create di!erent page ranges within the document, each using a di!erent page style. This enables, for example, to create two di!erent page ranges with di!erent numbering schemes (e.g. 1,2,3 and i, ii, iii) in the same document.
Note: The beginning and ending of a document are also considered page style breaks.
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Amontillado »

Meant to add, one thing I'm learning to do is remember that there is more to the world than styles. Tough for me to admit, since I really like using styles.

When you insert a page style break, it has the effect of a page break plus it adds a little fence between what came before and what goes after. That "fence" has to do with page attributes.

For instance, if you wanted to restart page numbering for different parts of a book or report, you could insert a page style break before the page you wanted to restart at page one.

Appearance-wise, the page style break is just a page break, but you can go to the new page one, go into the page palette, select the attributes tab, and use the numbering attributes to restart at page 1.

Cool stuff, those page styles, and the page style break makes them nicer yet.

Edited to add: I'm a newbie. I won't post an answer without personally testing what I'm saying, but I don't really know the ground rules here. If I'm being presumptuous don't hesitate to say so. I'm OK with criticism, and I'll still tell all my friends about the power of Mellel and its wonderful support.
krysttof
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by krysttof »

Thank you for the response and all the details.