alignment problems

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

shades
Knows everything, can prove it

alignment problems

Post by shades »

I have several paragraph styles set up for specific projects. One of the styles has 2nd line indented (18.0 pt). However, if I set the indent to 18.0 pt, for th tab it changes automatically to 18.01 pt. I have tried reversine the changes, and it still does not go to 18.0 but always to 18.01 This does not matter which style I choose, or the original settings the same 0.01 difference will take priorty or everything. The same slight misalignment happens.

Any thoughts

This problem has been around for 2-3 months, but I have been rather sick (and still am) so this is the first I have had a chance to invetigate.
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
Amontillado

Re: alignment problems

Post by Amontillado »

This sounds similar to something I found. I’m not at my computer to test right now, but I believe Mellel wil not allow margins inside of tabs.

Does that sound like what you’re seeing, a tab moving inside a margin?
Amontillado

Post by Amontillado »

Forgot my manners - hope your recovery is swift!
shades

Post by shades »

Thank you, the medicine has finally kicked in to battle pneumonia (3 month ordeal). And I was tested for COVID and it came back Tuesday and was negative.

Still have not found a solution
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
Amontillado

Post by Amontillado »

I think I figured out what you're seeing and I can duplicate it, assuming I understand correctly.

Best of luck with your pneumonia, by the way. When I was a kid i nearly died from respiratory problems. The only memory I have from those days is a dim memory of being in an oxygen tent in a hospital bed looking up at my Dad. I reached up and tapped on the oxygen tent, mimicking my Dad's typing. I was probably four. Dad had an Underwood from which maybe a quarter million words a year flowed. That oxygen tent memory is old and tattered, and I thank God I still have that in my mental archives. On days when I'm haunted by what a crummy son I was, I bring up that memory. At least on that occasion I hope I rendered a proper salute.

Regarding the tab, I set up a paragraph style with a second line indent of 18 points and discovered a few interesting things.

First, just as I discovered with table of contents alternate styles, every paragraph style has its own set of tab stops. That's a cool thing.

I'm a beginner with Mellel. Per my observations, Mellel doesn't allow tab stops outside of margins, and that applies to all margins, the start (2nd line), end (the right end, at least in RTL), and indent (the first line).

If I have an indent of 8 pt, a start of 18 pt, and an end of 10 pt., then all tab stops have to be >18 pt from the start of line, and more than 10 points in from the end of the line.

When I set the start indent to 17.9 pt, I could set an 18 pt tab. If I bumped the start indent to 18 pt, the tab jumped to 18.01, presumably because 18.0 points had become no-tab territory.

The tabs can be a fence for margins, too. I had the start indent at 15 pt, set the tab to 18, and was then unable to set the start indent to more than 17.99 pt. It seemed like whichever I set first, tab or either left hand margin, the other setting would not cross that line.

Hope that helps, or that someone who can speak with authority chimes in.