Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

WAKAMATSU
Got the styles thing figured out

set up an "SSL server certificate"

Post by WAKAMATSU »

Dear Eyal Redler,
How are you getting on ?
I am writing to suggest.
Does the proposal meet with your approval?
Why do not you set up an "SSL server certificate" on the server running your website?
Every time I access the site, I see "Not secure" next to the Safari URL, which is a bit annoying.
Of all the app development and sales-related sites I currently visit, this one seems to be the only one that hasn't been changed to https://.
Respectfully, WAKAMASTU
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: set up an "SSL server certificate"

Post by Amontillado »

Actually, the site has a cert. You can go to https://forum.mellel.com.

It's a self-signed cert, which has no impact on security other than not having a chain of trust to follow. The cryptography between browser and web server is the same. You'll have to tell your browser you trust Mellel's self-signed certificate. After that, it's just another secure site.

Signed certs are certainly nicer, but they are also a little bit of a racket.

Anyone can sign a certificate. For your signature to be automatically recognized in a browser, you need to be signed by someone whose cert was signed by someone the user's browser trusts.

Write Microsoft a huge check and meet some business legitimacy criteria, and Microsoft Edge will start recognizing your signature. Repeat for Firefox, Chrome, etc., and you, too, can be a certificate signing authority.

Personally, I paid for a recognized signature for my career-based blog site, but I don't have an issue with self-signers.

I'm convinced this site is actually Mellel. My traffic is encrypted. Life's good, but you're right, too. A recognized endorsement signature on Mellel's cert would be a nice touch.

It just wouldn't actually improve anything beyond perception.
WAKAMATSU
Got the styles thing figured out

Re: set up an "SSL server certificate"

Post by WAKAMATSU »

Dear Amontillado,
Thank you for your eclaircissement.
Your comments put some real substance into the equation.
I will make a change to this URL based upon your proposed secure surroundings.
New realign shows with locked icon in my Safari.
Thx and regards, WAKAMATSU