Changing foot notes to end notes

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

abe-ariel@013.net
Read the guide!

Changing foot notes to end notes

Post by abe-ariel@013.net »

I completed a 200 pp. mauscript that contains about 300 foot notes, re-numbered from 1 onwards at the end of every chapter. Publisher now wishes to make them end notes, namely positioned at the end of the manuscript and numbered 1.....300.
How can I do that in one go?

Tks
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Changing foot notes to end notes

Post by Amontillado »

The notes section of chapter 4 of the manual covers note streams. Section/paragraph 9 on page 66 discusses changing note positions with this comment, "Changing the notes placement essentially changes them from footnotes to endnotes."

On a casual test, it appears to work fine. A footnote isn't really a footnote, it's a note stream configured to look like a footnote.

From Mellel's main menu, Insert->Note->Edit note attributes will let you make the change. Note placement gives you three options, bottom of page, below text, and end of document.

Curiously, I can't figure out the difference between bottom of page and below text. Something to explore.

Edit - forgot to add, the "numbering" option will let you choose continuous numbering (probably what you need), or restart every page, page range, or section.
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Changing foot notes to end notes

Post by Amontillado »

Aha! Figured out the "below text" option.

If you have a note set to display at the bottom of the page, that's where it always goes.

If it's set to appear below text, it will appear immediately below the text of the page. If the page is half full, the footnote will be in the middle of the page. If the page is full, "below text" will appear the same as "bottom of page."