Exporting from Scrivener to Mellel

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

kamransoomro84
New to all this

Exporting from Scrivener to Mellel

Post by kamransoomro84 »

I often write academic papers work some maths and tables. I’d like to reliably export my final document to mellel for formatting. What is the best way to do this?
WAKAMATSU
Got the styles thing figured out

Re: Exporting from Scrivener to Mellel

Post by WAKAMATSU »

Dear kamransoomro84,
I hope it would be useful information for you.
With Scrivener your writing form are some maths and tables.
( I am afraid this maths format is not the custom to use for myself.)
[[Using MathType With Scrivener | Literature and Latte]]
[[Math Notation - Literature and Latte]]
[[Scrivener 3 and MathType 7 - Literature and Latte]]

Scrivener : export > OPML file (Export entire binder : Title and Text)
With Mellel , you can open this opml file directly.
(set in pdf math is dropped out)
Exp. pdf is
[ \int^{b}_{a} f(x) dx = \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum^{n-1}_{i=0} f(x_{i}) \Delta x ]
I test it by experiment, this morning.
Under : Mac OSX Mojave 10.14.6 Scrivener ver.3.2.2 Mellel 5.0.5r5
It will be not very helpful for you, I am afraid.

Or Compile ... : Pandoc ---> Microsoft Word (.docx) is useful even using Japanese language.
But Compile : Microsoft Word (.docx) brought garbage Japanese characters.
( It is not known exactly how and which compiling, yet.)
How do you feel it?
Thx and regards, WAKAMATSU kunimitsu from Japan
DavidH
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by DavidH »

I haven’t tried anything fancy along these lines myself, but I suspect the best way to handle it would be RTF export and import, since Scrivener handles text as RTF internally.

I assume the math you speak of consists of mathematical formulas turned out by MathType or some similar palette based equation editor (which no longer work in new versions of the Mac system) or a LaTex based math editor (like the free LaTexiT) that turns out pdf formula images that can be inserted into word processor text. And I assume the tables you speak of are simple tables generated in Scrivener itself using its Insert command. If these assumptions are correct, your best bet would be to

(a) Use Scrivener’s Compile command to export your project or selected parts of it as an RTF file.

(b) Use Mellel’s Import command to import that RTF file into Mellel. (File > Import > RTF)

The tables should now be simple unformatted Mellel tables and the formulas should now be inline pdf graphics.

You’ll probably need to double click on each of the formulas to set a suitable negative value for Vertical Position. Otherwise the bottom edge of the formula will line up with the baseline of the text, and the formula will be too high up. Once you’ve found the right Vertical Position value for one formula by experiment, you can use the same for all the others.

Scrivener has some special new capabilities for making direct use of MultiMarkdown and LaTex directly in the body of a Scrivener document. If you’ve used those capabilities to make tables and formulas in Scrivener, I don’t think there’s any easy way to get the results into Mellel. In that case you’d be better off doing your final editing elsewhere.
kamransoomro84
New to all this

Post by kamransoomro84 »

Thanks for your reply. I do prefer to use markdown and latex tables. Can I not do something like Scrivener —> pandoc —> word? I know that pandoc converts latex formulas to native word math but not sure how that will work with Mellel.

The other possibility I can think of is just edit the final output in latex directly, which is not completely out of the question, I guess. But it would be nice if Scrivener could export directly to Mellel format.
DavidH
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by DavidH »

My own sense is that the more invested you become in LaTex - specific ways of handling textual matters above and beyond the building of simple mathematical formulas, the less sense it makes to try to finish your work in Mellel, Word, or any other word processor — they conceive these things so differently, you'll be fighting them at every turn. Given your needs, you might be better off going from Scrivener to LaTex, (or XeTex or LuaLaTex, if your output needs conventional OpenType fonts).
Maximus2021
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by Maximus2021 »

I've compiled a rtf-file in Scrivener (with Headings and sub-headings).
After importing it in Mellel I see some strange symbols in Outline, and the structure is completely wrong.
How could I solve that issue?