Exporting Mellel doc with footnotes, page numbers to Word

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

daiyi
Knows everything, can prove it

Exporting Mellel doc with footnotes, page numbers to Word

Post by daiyi »

Hope everyone is well.

I have started work on an academic translation for publication. They need the final document in Word (.docx). But much prefer working in Mellel 5. When I export to Word, will most formatting for footnotes and page numbers be retained? I don't mind fiddling with the Word doc. But I would hate to reformat the entire translation, too. Have others had good luck exporting and retaining the original format?

Thanks!
laup
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Exporting Mellel doc with footnotes, page numbers to Word

Post by laup »

I have exported a number of 100-page complex documents to Word successfully, including tables with colored cells, figures, footnotes, endnotes, and cross references. I had a few puzzlers along the way, but nothing profound. It would be good for those of us who have done so to collect tips for others. I had meant to do so but had other matters intrude.

One caution: if the requirement is for the final document to be in a particular Word template, that necessitates more work. I can't remember all of it now, but I ended up creating a Mellel style set and auto-title flow matching (almost) what the final Word styles were supposed to be. I then exported from Mellel, used Tools/Templates to "apply template". Then I had to make a few changes because the initial and final styles were not quite identical. This was all quite doable but had to be figured out.
It may not even be an issue for you.
Paul