Greyed-out band on left side of document

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Vill
New to all this

Greyed-out band on left side of document

Post by Vill »

I opened a document and a grey band appeared on the left side of the page. The greyed-out space is on the page, it’s not the side pane. It’s about 2 1/4 inches of unusable space.

It prints as blank space, and the document is shrunk accordingly to fit on the paper. But it does not appear in a quickview.
Icelander
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Greyed-out band on left side of document

Post by Icelander »

Vill wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:00 pm I opened a document and a grey band appeared on the left side of the page.
What kind of document are we talking about? From your description it sounds as if you had been working on a certain document and then—suddenly—one day a grey band appeared when you opened it.

Does the band appear on all the pages or just one page? What happens if you copy the content and paste it into a new document? Is the band still there?
Have you checked the Page Setup in the File menu and the Page palette?

Upload a screenshot.
Vill
New to all this

Post by Vill »

What kind of document are we talking about? From your description it sounds as if you had been working on a certain document and then—suddenly—one day a grey band appeared when you opened it.
Yes, exactly.
Does the band appear on all the pages or just one page?

All pages.
What happens if you copy the content and paste it into a new document? Is the band still there?
No, it's not in the new document.
Have you checked the Page Setup in the File menu and the Page palette?
Yes, the paper size is the same, U.S. letter. Nothing new or irregular in the Page palette.

I cannot see how to upload an image. This is a dropbox png file address inside img tags.
Here is a link to a screenshot uploaded to dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/byebqj8h8bnuq ... q.png?dl=0
Amontillado
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Amontillado »

I think I know what that is.

That's the annotations pane. Position your cursor at some point of interest in your manuscript, right click (or control click) and you'll get an option to enter a comment.

That will put a little text box with the user name from Mellel 5->Preferences. It's in the document setup tab in the preferences.

There will be a date and time stamp, and then the comment.

The annotations pane is toggled with View->Annotations pane.

If the annotations pane isn't displayed, right clicking and using the previous or next comment feature, add comment, or edit comment will all turn the annotations pane on for you.

Annotations make a nice way to tag things that will need clarification later or things you need to remain mindful of as you complete the work.

Comments can be deleted by right clicking on their anchor, or by turning on the annotations page, hovering over a comment, and clicking the "x" in the upper right corner of the comment.
Vill
New to all this

Post by Vill »

Yep, that's it.

Thanks!