need: clean empty mentions (even better: fallback mechanism)

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

ozean
Knows everything, can prove it

need: clean empty mentions (even better: fallback mechanism)

Post by ozean »

I have set up my mentions in such a way that odd pages display the name of the chapter and even pages the name of the subchapter in the header.

However, I do not always have a subchapter defined (some of my chapters are not long enough to require subchapters), therefore I have plenty of pages in my document where the nasty <#???#> is being displayed in my header. (This string appears when the value of the mention is not defined, it seems.)

Can this somehow be turned off? I would prefer to have it
  1. either be replaced by emptyness
  2. or be replaced by a fallback mechanism (i.e. display the chapter when there is no subchapter)
My proofreaders complain that they find it hard to keep track in which section of my dissertation they are :(
A solution for this would help their and my poor soul…
donb

Post by donb »

I suggest you create a header style that has just blank space for content. You could then insert that in such situations.

Don Broadribb
ozean

Post by ozean »

You mean manually in those situations? Or could this be done automatically. Manually would be … a hassle – to put it mildyly ;)

But thanks for the suggestion. Might be the only workaround for now…
redlers
Site Admin

Re: need: clean empty mentions (even better: fallback mechan

Post by redlers »

ozean wrote:I have set up my mentions in such a way that odd pages display the name of the chapter and even pages the name of the subchapter in the header.

However, I do not always have a subchapter defined (some of my chapters are not long enough to require subchapters), therefore I have plenty of pages in my document where the nasty <#???#> is being displayed in my header. (This string appears when the value of the mention is not defined, it seems.)

Can this somehow be turned off? I would prefer to have it
  1. either be replaced by emptyness
  2. or be replaced by a fallback mechanism (i.e. display the chapter when there is no subchapter)
My proofreaders complain that they find it hard to keep track in which section of my dissertation they are :(
A solution for this would help their and my poor soul…
Best automated way to do this is to create a page style that is identical to the one you are currently using, without the sub-chapter mention and use it with chapters that does not have sub-chapters (and, if you decide later on to add sub-chapters, you can always switch to the main page style.
ozean

Post by ozean »

Thanks for the tip. That is certainly helpful as a workaround.

However, I would still prefer it if the undefined mention would just be empty instead of filled with this strange string. I think it is a good idea to provide some feedback in the interface telling users that a definition is missing. But the string <#???#> is not very helpful in that regard. Perhaps you could display a human readable string like <field undefined> or some such and make this string non-printing (i.e. displayed in the same blue color that is used to display other non-printing things).
joewiz

Post by joewiz »

ozean wrote:Perhaps you could display a human readable string like <field undefined> or some such and make this string non-printing (i.e. displayed in the same blue color that is used to display other non-printing things).
I think this is a very sound suggestion.

The other idea proposed earlier—a 'fallback' autotitle level in the event of a undefined field—would be more complicated to implement but would be really cool.
SteveLuke
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by SteveLuke »

Does an alternate page style within the document not require several page syle breaks that would disrupt the page numbering?

create a page style that is identical to the one you are currently using, without the sub-chapter mention and use it with chapters that does not have sub-chapters (and, if you decide later on to add sub-chapters, you can always switch to the main page style.
A default fall-back mention would be ok,
so would taking out the ???. I dont mind the # so much.
Ideally one could suppress or render invisible the error mention, while allowing the normal useful mentions.[/quote]