Mellel 2.1.3 is out

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Ori Redler
One of the boys

Mellel 2.1.3 is out

Post by Ori Redler »

Mellel 2.1.3 is out. All the changes are exiting, fascinating bug fixes to some rather annoying small problems...

Read all about them here:
http://www.mellel.com/releasenotes.html

(with some thanks to the good people that helped us find and fix them)[/list]
Last edited by Ori Redler on Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ori Redler from RedleX
Reiner
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Reiner »

While we all wait for 2.2 to be released, now 2.1.3 is here but not one single comment on 2.2.

I think it is more than overdue that you will make some comments about 2.2. Inform us instead of being intransparent; at least tell us what you have told visitors at the Macworld few days ago. What's about a newsletter on 2.2?

This "information" (:?) policy is driving me angry one more time.

best regards
Reiner
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I agree with Reiner.
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

When I use the menu Mellel -> Check for Updates… I'm getting the information that "Your version of Mellel is up to date!", even if my current version is 2.1.2.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

macsailor wrote:When I use the menu Mellel -> Check for Updates… I'm getting the information that "Your version of Mellel is up to date!", even if my current version is 2.1.2.
Automatic updates are thrown out typically one or two days after the official announcement of a new version. This is done because the servers couldn’t handle all the traffic if every single Mellel user tries to download the newest version at the same time.
You could do a manual update if you like or wait some more days until the automatic reminder will alert you.
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

Mart°n wrote:You could do a manual update if you like or wait some more days until the automatic reminder will alert you.
No problem, I did a manual download/update. Just curious why the website wasn't updated regarding the new version. Thanks for the enlightenment. :wink:
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
danzac

Post by danzac »

Everyone take a breather, the Redlers are doing the best they can.

In the words of Guns and Roses, "all we need is just a little patience" :wink:
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

I think I am very patient. I have no problem to wait. What makes me a bit angry is the missing information.

While we have a loving relationship here :oops: some emotions are normal I would say :wink:
Reiner
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

macsailor wrote:When I use the menu Mellel -> Check for Updates… I'm getting the information that "Your version of Mellel is up to date!", even if my current version is 2.1.2.
This is possibly a cache problem. You simply got the older 2.1.2 page from your service provider (or your own browser's cache).
Ori Redler from RedleX
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

Reiner wrote:While we all wait for 2.2 to be released, now 2.1.3 is here but not one single comment on 2.2.

I think it is more than overdue that you will make some comments about 2.2. Inform us instead of being intransparent; at least tell us what you have told visitors at the Macworld few days ago. What's about a newsletter on 2.2?

This "information" (:?) policy is driving me angry one more time.

best regards
Reiner, it is not possible to give a specific plan with specific dates. The general direction and general plan are clear enough (and I'll reiterate it in a bit) but being too specific with software is like crossing the line between information and misinformation. We will not declare something we intend to have, just what we already have.

As to the genreal plan, the details are more-or-less known. We intend to bring, within this year, several major improvements, among which:
* Cross referencing
* Index
* Flowing text around images
* Major improvements to bibliography sync and work

Regarding those, I cannog give dates, but can say that:
A. They'll work.
B. They'll be best-of-breed features.
Ori Redler from RedleX
Phil82

Post by Phil82 »

Still, it would be nice to have a rough estimate of when it will be released.
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

Ori Redler wrote:
Reiner wrote:This "information" (:?) policy is driving me angry one more time.
Reiner, it is not possible to give a specific plan with specific dates. The general direction and general plan are clear enough (and I'll reiterate it in bit) but being too specific with software is like crossing the line between information and misinformation. We will not declare something we intend to have, just what we already have.

As to the genreal plan, the details are more-or-less known. We intend to bring, within this year, several major improvements, among which:
* Cross referencing

Regarding those, I cannog give dates, but can say that:
A. They'll work.
* Index
* Flowing text around images
* Major improvements to bibliography sync and work
B. They'll be best-of-breed features.
Dear Ori,

what you wrote here I would call information. And (if had not missed or forgotten something you wrote before) it also is new information.

You said that 2.2 was planned to be released late 2006. It was obvious in december, that this plan did not work. But you never informed us about new plans, therefor I if not daily then weekly waited for the start of beta-testing 2.2, what is logically from my point of view I think. Now you said "this year", so it is clear as clear can be, that it will need more time than expected and it does not make any sense to wait for it in near future. And exactly that is the so far missed information.

I don't need a date or more concrete details (though that would be interesting anyway ;-) ). But I think it would have been much better (and should have been no problem) to tell us that in the december newsletter or at the latest in early january. The december newsletter even didn't mention 2.2.

I would say it this way: You have very interested, not at all dumb users. So I see no reason to annoy us this way.

Sorry, if I'm too explicit, it is not meant to be impolite but precise.

all the best
Reiner
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

And Newsletter 21 (september 2006) told us:

"We also plan to release some mini-versions on the way to 2.2. Those will mainly include smaller features and additions from our most-requested list."

I am very curious to know what this sentence was hinting at, and if this promise will indeed be fulfilled in the coming months.
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

Timotheus wrote:And Newsletter 21 (september 2006) told us:

"We also plan to release some mini-versions on the way to 2.2. Those will mainly include smaller features and additions from our most-requested list."

I am very curious to know what this sentence was hinting at, and if this promise will indeed be fulfilled in the coming months.
Well, there were 2.1.1 and 2.1.2, all with featurettes.
Ori Redler from RedleX
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Ah, I see. I thought or hoped this sentence could be an allusion to a split window function, improved footnote management, footnotes in word count, higlighting of the cursor position in the outline pane, and / or other evergreens of this forum; but then clearly this was wishful thinking … …