cross-references: glad to wait for a quality implementation

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

szxy12dml

cross-references: glad to wait for a quality implementation

Post by szxy12dml »

Mellel addresses all my needs wonderfully--except for a lack of cross references. My impression is that cross-references are coming, and that they will be ready when they are ready, consistent with the quality of software delivered by this company.

Recently I noticed that a public beta of the Nisus Writer Pro has been released with cross-references. After trying it out, I'm really hoping Mellel's implementation will a) be better and b) arrive soon.

I found the implementation of cross-references in NWP to be hard to use and unintuitive. It is limited currently: the release note indicates you may not be able to insert cross references to items in tables (I didn't try to confirm this). The implementation reminded me a bit of cross-reference in Indesign--first you create a bookmark, then you separately link to it. From my perspective it took too many steps in NWP to do this, and it wasn't intuitive. And, as I indicated, it doesn't work completely yet. And in a separate issue, I found the icons and user interface of NWP to be clumbsy and dated.

So for what it's worth, I found the experience interesting: rushing to introduce a half-baked feature left me less-than impressed with NWP, and so I'm glad Mellel's creators are focused on quality.
ptram
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by ptram »

The release of Nisus' new beta is a good thing for us Mellel users. It lets us know how bad Mellel would have been working, if it was developed without quality insurance in mind.

At the same time, I'm very sorry Nisus' developers are going the Microsoft way, when programming quality is concerned...

Paolo
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Re: cross-references: glad to wait for a quality implementat

Post by Ori Redler »

roberthoodphd wrote:Mellel addresses all my needs wonderfully--except for a lack of cross references. My impression is that cross-references are coming, and that they will be ready when they are ready, consistent with the quality of software delivered by this company.
I can tell you that they are already in the works and we hope to show some results soon. We tried to address most of the limitations in current implementations (not just in Word, which is not very good in itself, but also with other applications like Frame Maker).
Ori Redler from RedleX
macsailor
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: cross-references: glad to wait for a quality implementat

Post by macsailor »

Ori Redler wrote:
roberthoodphd wrote:Mellel addresses all my needs wonderfully--except for a lack of cross references. My impression is that cross-references are coming, and that they will be ready when they are ready, consistent with the quality of software delivered by this company.
I can tell you that they are already in the works and we hope to show some results soon. We tried to address most of the limitations in current implementations (not just in Word, which is not very good in itself, but also with other applications like Frame Maker).
Information like this is music to my ears. :D
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.