Spell Catcher X 10.3

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

TomEck
Knows everything, can also explain

Spell Catcher X 10.3

Post by TomEck »

Some time ago there was a discussion about the use of Spell Catcher (a spellchecker) with Mellel because Spell Catcher is a handy addition/replacement for built-in OS X spellchecker. With its new release Spell Catcher offers a new technology called DirectCorrect that could be once more of interest for users of Mellel. Unfortunately, the special text engine of Mellel does not work together with DirectCorrect, yet. The question is whether it is possible to modify the Mellel text engine or Spell Catcher without too much complexity so that both applications works together. If there is some interest please follow this link to the discussion in the Spell Catcher forum.

I would be glad if the Redlers could let us know what they think about a co-operation between Mellel and Spell Catcher.

Thomas
Last edited by TomEck on Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
miles11
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Spell Catcher X 10.3

Post by miles11 »

Mellel & SC are two of my favorite apps so I'd like to see them work well together, too.

Thanks for the link to the SC forums.
rwebber
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by rwebber »

I would be very interested in having Spell Catcher's new DirectCorrect functionality in Mellel as well. Mellel is now my "word processor of choice" and I rarely turn to any other. I would be very appreciative if the developers would investigate the possibility of implementing DirectCorrect in Mellel.

Thanks,

Ron Webber
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

I second the request to make it possible to use the new DirectCorrect (from the new update of SpellCatcher 3) from within in Mellel.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
Chuck
New to all this

Post by Chuck »

i'll third it. as much as i have grown to hate openoffice, i am, i fear chemically dependent on the auto-correction software. i would love to see this feature in Mellel, since i can stand using it.
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

Add my vote to those who want to see Spell Catcher 10.3 to work with Mellel.
DavidH

Post by DavidH »

Add mine as well.
pitman

Post by pitman »

FYI: Spell Catcher is on sale today (Feb. 2) from Macupdate Promo:

http://www.mupromo.com/deal/735/5801
strongbow
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by strongbow »

I found Spell Catcher a quite useful app but stopped using it as it didn't fit my workflow. The major drawback for me is that I like to write without distraction by any spellchecking or proofreading software. I therefore usually check in retrospect. Now unfortunately Spell Catcher (as some competing apps) is not able to handle footnotes and formating, which it loses during the spellchecking process. For academic writing, I found Spell Catcher therefore to be problematic but I would now be curious to know how other forum members handle these issues in Mellel.
gnoli
Already downloaded the guide

Post by gnoli »

I add myself to the hopeful people ....
Passopp

Post by Passopp »

Spell Catcher is 50% off at MacZot today:

http://maczot.com/discuss/?p=1111

I just purchased it, together with the Norwegian dictionary ($10 extra) which was made available this year. Now I am very anxious to see if and how well this works with Mellel.

I am also anxious to see how well SP works with the Mac OS X 10.4.11, since Apple has not furnished us with any global dictionary for the Norwegian OS.

So far I have used CocoAspell which has worked fairly well (also in Mellel) for spell checking, however I have sorely missed thesaurus/synonyms, which is included in Spell Catcher.
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

Passopp wrote:Spell Catcher is 50% off at MacZot today:

http://maczot.com/discuss/?p=1111

I just purchased it, together with the Norwegian dictionary ($10 extra) which was made available this year. Now I am very anxious to see if and how well this works with Mellel.

I am also anxious to see how well SP works with the Mac OS X 10.4.11, since Apple has not furnished us with any global dictionary for the Norwegian OS.

So far I have used CocoAspell which has worked fairly well (also in Mellel) for spell checking, however I have sorely missed thesaurus/synonyms, which is included in Spell Catcher.
When I used to use MacOSX 10.4.x I also used SpellCatcher (still do use SP with Leopard) with Swedish dictionary. It worked (and probably still works) very good in Tiger. Spell Catcher is my main tools for spelling in MacOSX. Have never regretted that I bought Spell Catcher several years ago.
TomEck

Post by TomEck »

Does anyone who is able to disclose something about Mellel 2.7 know if the update will improve support for Spell Catcher X?

Thanks!
TomEck

Post by TomEck »

To answer my question: Sadly, it seems Mellel 2.7 does not improve SP X support; at least I cannot get DirectCorrect work...