Auto-title woes/suggestion

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

DanZac
Knows everything, can prove it

Auto-title woes/suggestion

Post by DanZac »

I've requested this before (I think by email) and want to raise the issue again.

I would like the ability to exclude title flows from the hierarchy so that they will not be included in numberings. I would like to have my auto-title flow set up this way:
section
chapter
level 1 heading
level 2 subheading
level 3 subheading
level 4 subheading
level 5 subheading

All of the "headings" flows are numbered (1.1.1), with the chapter being the first number. Sections are titles and are not numbered. The problem with this is that even though I don't include a number in a section, it is the first to be numbered. This also means that the chapters are not consecutive, they start over after every section.

I am left with 2 options, either make section a lower title in the flow list (below my level 5) or to omit Section as a title-flow altogether. Neither of these are sufficient for me— putting it lower in the flow ruins the whole outline pane view by putting it in a lower section, and not having it as a title removes it from the outline pane all together.

Any other suggestions, perhaps I'm missing something. I would like to see just a simple option in the title flows option to omit a particular flow from the sequence.

Thanks, Danny
donbroadribb
Got the styles thing figured out

Re: Auto-title woes/suggestion

Post by donbroadribb »

This is not something I have encountered in this particular form before. But the question of whether to use levels or subdivisions within one level looks like it may be relevant. I suggest you read through carefully my chapter on autotitles in my Beginners Tutorial, where examples of this sort of thing are given, and the question of levels vs subdivisions of a level is discussed. It is just possible you may find the answer to your problem there.

Don Broadribb
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Auto-title woes/suggestion

Post by rpcameron »

DanZac wrote:All of the "headings" flows are numbered (1.1.1), with the chapter being the first number. Sections are titles and are not numbered. The problem with this is that even though I don't include a number in a section, it is the first to be numbered. This also means that the chapters are not consecutive, they start over after every section.

I am left with 2 options, either make section a lower title in the flow list (below my level 5) or to omit Section as a title-flow altogether. Neither of these are sufficient for me— putting it lower in the flow ruins the whole outline pane view by putting it in a lower section, and not having it as a title removes it from the outline pane all together.
How about a third option. Do the Sections as Tag elements, and have Chapters be your level 1 Structure element. That way you don't have to include a number, and its numbering is parallel to Chapters, and the Chapters will not restart. However, also remember that in the Outline pane that Tag elements are placed differently than Structure elements.

Not a perfect solution, but the best compromise available at the time.
— Robert Cameron