2.7 beta: any way to make captions move?

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

nalugu
Got the auto-title mojo working

2.7 beta: any way to make captions move?

Post by nalugu »

first of all: floating images and text wrap are working like a charm. Thanks 1000 times, Redlers!
Now maybe I just don't manage to figure it out: if I want my captions or any other bit of text to float around with the image (that's how we use images in writing usually, I suppose), how can I do this? Do I have to wait for text boxes to put my images in? Or is there any other way I just don't realize yet?
thx!
verma
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: 2.7 beta: any way to make captions move?

Post by verma »

nalugu wrote:first of all: floating images and text wrap are working like a charm. Thanks 1000 times, Redlers!
Now maybe I just don't manage to figure it out: if I want my captions or any other bit of text to float around with the image (that's how we use images in writing usually, I suppose), how can I do this? Do I have to wait for text boxes to put my images in? Or is there any other way I just don't realize yet?
thx!
You can now drag around your Autotitles just about anywhere. (right of image, left of image, use tabs etc.) - is that of any help?
nalugu

Post by nalugu »

verma wrote: You can now drag around your Autotitles just about anywhere. (right of image, left of image, use tabs etc.) - is that of any help?
I'm afraid, not really...
what I need is attaching some text, say, a paragraph of 5-7 lines, to (under, beneath) one or several images, and manage them as ONE floating thing. That's how it works in pages..... with boxes.
So I understand that I will have to wait for text boxes to be implemented? Or take my text and make a snapshot of it as .jpg - but that will make editing impossible.
I still hope that I just did not find some well-hidden control in the menu / pallettes...
shades

Post by shades »

So, who gets a beta? I had asked the last time there was a beta and never got an answer.

Is it my deodorant? :oops: :mrgreen:
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
nalugu

Post by nalugu »

shades wrote:So, who gets a beta? I had asked the last time there was a beta and never got an answer.
I just wrote to the developers and got placed on the beta testers list (already for the last release). Maybe the number of testers they need is limited? Don't have information about that.
verma

Post by verma »

nalugu wrote:
verma wrote: You can now drag around your Autotitles just about anywhere. (right of image, left of image, use tabs etc.) - is that of any help?
what I need is attaching some text, say, a paragraph of 5-7 lines, to (under, beneath) one or several images, and manage them as ONE floating thing. That's how it works in pages..... with boxes.
So I understand that I will have to wait for text boxes to be implemented? Or take my text and make a snapshot of it as .jpg - but that will make editing impossible.
I still hope that I just did not find some well-hidden control in the menu / pallettes...
If you want your text "glued" to your image, best option I guess is to make a table with colums (invisible lines) so both will move as one unit. You can have inline wrap inside a table as well.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

verma wrote:
nalugu wrote:
If you want your text "glued" to your image, best option I guess is to make a table with colums (invisible lines) so both will move as one unit. You can have inline wrap inside a table as well.
Am I to take this to mean that you can now put Auto-Titles in table cells?
— Robert Cameron
nalugu

Post by nalugu »

verma wrote:If you want your text "glued" to your image, best option I guess is to make a table with colums (invisible lines) so both will move as one unit. You can have inline wrap inside a table as well.
that's what I thought as well. Placed my image into a table with one cell, invisible borders. But the table/image unit is reluctant to float around on the page.
verma

Post by verma »

nalugu wrote:
verma wrote:If you want your text "glued" to your image, best option I guess is to make a table with colums (invisible lines) so both will move as one unit. You can have inline wrap inside a table as well.
that's what I thought as well. Placed my image into a table with one cell, invisible borders. But the table/image unit is reluctant to float around on the page.
Well indeed no - there's no float inside a table cell, or will the table cell float.
verma

Post by verma »

rpcameron wrote: Am I to take this to mean that you can now put Auto-Titles in table cells?
No, not yet in table cells.
nalugu

Post by nalugu »

verma wrote:Well indeed no - there's no float inside a table cell, or will the table cell float.
OK thanks for helping - seems I kind of overinterpreted the floating feature as it is by now - the floating images are already wonderful, hope to have boxes floating soon as well...
ozean

Post by ozean »

Yes, it would – I agree that having image captions included in the flow options would be a really great feature. Maybe the Redlers will even be able to achieve that in a later beta? We’ll wait and see. I wouldn’t mind to wait a few extra weeks if this would mean that we get captions included… ;)
nalugu

Post by nalugu »

ozean wrote:Yes, it would – I agree that having image captions included in the flow options would be a really great feature. Maybe the Redlers will even be able to achieve that in a later beta? We’ll wait and see. I wouldn’t mind to wait a few extra weeks if this would mean that we get captions included… ;)
Absolutely correct. What is a picture without some words? In most cases, at least in the kind of text written in mellel, images are not embellishments, but means to explain further detail, and for this they need their own bit of text.
I ask myself - shall we post this somewhere as a feature request, or is the forum read by the developers anyway... :wink: Dear Redlers, what do you think on the subject? :) How are the prospects?
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

If you are a beta tester, it would be the best idea to report your wishes in a beta report. If you’re not a beta tester, you could either wait for the final version to see if the included features meet your requirements or you could post your request here or send a feature request directly to the Redlers.
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

See http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php? ... 20&start=0

I'm actually a bit disappointed by this release. I would have hoped that Mellel would go it's own (useful) way, rather than merely re-implementing the fairly useless image placement of word et. al. Sorry, but it's true.

DRM
Last edited by DylanMuir on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.