Track Changes, what will you do?

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Ideally, when Mellel has track-changes, what do you think you'll do?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:52 pm

What's "track changes" anyhow? Don't use it.
3%
Ignore it. I love the way this works in MS Word/Pages/Etc.
7%
Ignore it. It'll probably be nice, but my professor/student/publisher/Etc. insist on the MS Word route.
10%
I'll give it a go, if it looks and feels like MS Word and doesn't require a lot of re-learning.
3%
I'll give it a go, even re-learn, if I can avoid import/export hassle.
50%
I'll try it. I'll be able to convince my collaborators to work and make changes with a trial or a registered version.
3%
I'll try it. It's a tool for version control for me anyhow so keeping within Mellel is just fine with me.
23%

Total votes: 30

vinesy
Read the guide!

Re: Track Changes, what will you do?

Post by vinesy »

When I'm collaborating with others at work I use NeoOffice (for working with MS Office people) or Pages (for those a little more enlightened). Its all English language stuff anyway. Nobody I collaborate with uses Mellel.

What I use Mellel for is writing multlingual academic papers. If my supervisor need to make comments, he can do that on a PDF with preview.app

So from where I'm at there no rush to get track changes for Mellel. Better to focus on INDEXING, image captions and marginalia.
Jake-1
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by Jake-1 »

Timotheus wrote:Track changes is considered an essential feature of a word processor by many. But it is not. It is fashionable, but not essential.
For me, it is essential, and becoming moreso all the time. I said in another post that, if Mellel had track changes, I would a) use it much more often and b) get the two major collaborators who need my work to buy Mellel, or I'd buy it for them. Issue a) is of much more use and interest to me.
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

It seems that the voting points to two things: a) smoothness moving between rounds of changes is essential; and there are many who would use this in a non-co-operative environment (with themselves) if the feature is any good.
Ori Redler from RedleX
ealvarez
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by ealvarez »

About track change, I cannot say that it would be uninteresting. However, the "collaborative" feature I'm missing is line numbering. It's essential for scientific publications. Also, it can be very useful for collaborative work.

In fact, about collaborative work, I think that more and more it will be done in the "clouds". Google already offers it with Google docs. Office is also going this way.