Any replacement for SC that will work with Mellel?

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

macsailor
Knows everything, can prove it

Any replacement for SC that will work with Mellel?

Post by macsailor »

I have been using SpellCatcher for last nine years, but since I replaced my old MBP with a new MBP and then automaticly switching from Lion to Mountain Lion, Spell Catcher has not been working properly. Since the creator of Spellcatcher, the late Evan Michael Gross unfortunally passed away last summer, I believe there will be no new updates at all.
Has anyone been using some other similar software that will work with Mellel and ML? I have downloaded TypeIt4Me, DashExpander, TextExpander and Typinator. So far all of them seems to be working as they are supposed to work.

I used Spell Catcher mainly for two different purposes, first as an abbreviation expander and secondly as a spell checker. Most of the time my spelling are exellent, but sometimes my fingers and my brain do no cooperate properly leaving me with some words always misspelled, or should I say the letters not in the right order.
Are there any apps good enough to replace the now more or less abonded Spell Catcher? Any other suggestions than the apps I mentioned above, that could be worth trying?

This matter is of great importance to me, especially since Mellel does not have any similar feature, nor does the MacOSX, I am in great need of a replacement of the great tool I had in Spell Catcher.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
shades

Re: Any replacement for SC that will work with Mellel?

Post by shades »

I have been having this problem since Mountain Lion came out (see another thread on this topic). SC works so well and is part of our daily work in all other apps, but not Mellel. It is frustrating.

Unfortunately I have not found a comparable replacement.
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
markusbern
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by markusbern »

what about:http://linguisoft.com

as a german speaker I would prefer duden.de
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

markusbern wrote:what about:http://linguisoft.com

as a german speaker I would prefer duden.de

I tried Grammarian years ago, but as far as I recall, the text the application changed or replaced, did not always match the font used within my documents.
Peter Edwardsson
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

shades wrote:I have been having this problem since Mountain Lion came out (see another thread on this topic). SC works so well and is part of our daily work in all other apps, but not Mellel. It is frustrating.

Unfortunately I have not found a comparable replacement.
SC has been a real good tool for the last nine years, but now I can not get it to work as it used to work. Hopefully some software company will purchase Rainmaker and continue to make updates, but that will probably not happen. The founder of the company passed away half a year ago and still no news regarding the future of the company. Unfortunately, it looks like the current version of SC will be the last one.
Peter Edwardsson