changing footnote alignment

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

birksworks
Got the styles thing figured out

changing footnote alignment

Post by birksworks »

Dear Forum,

Although my document uses left-justified paragraphs, my footnotes always come out as block-justified. I would like the footnotes to be left justifed to be consistent with the main text alignment.

By editing note attributes, one can change the paragraph style. However, this only seems to work (for me) footnote-by-footnote. That is, I have to edit every footnote separately. How can I chance the style of all of the footnotes at one time?

Thanks very much for your help.

Kind regards,

bw
SDempsey
Knows everything, can also explain

Re: changing footnote alignment

Post by SDempsey »

Go to Edit --> Style Sets. In the Paragraph list, there should be a entry called Note text. Edit this entry. You should see this Justification buttons towards the bottom of this pane. That should get you fixed up.
birksworks
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by birksworks »

SDempsey wrote:Go to Edit --> Style Sets. In the Paragraph list, there should be a entry called Note text. Edit this entry. You should see this Justification buttons towards the bottom of this pane. That should get you fixed up.

Dear SD,

Thanks very much for this.

I changed the note text paragraph style and then had to to edit the note attributes to use the note paragraph style. This fixed most but not all of the footnotes. I am at a loss to explain the footnotes that it did not fix. They also seem to have a different format for the spacing between the foot note number and the beginning of the footnote.

When I check, these non-conforming footnotes seem to be part of the footnote stream. The footnote numbering is ok (ie in numerical order) which seems to confirm that they are part of the same footnote stream.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on how I might have messed this up!

Kind regards,

bw
SDempsey
Knows everything, can also explain

Post by SDempsey »

I'm not really sure what's going on. How many of the footnotes are not formatted correctly? Can you just place your cursor somewhere within the text of the footnotes and apply the note text style? (Just go to the Paragraph section of the Palette, Choose the Styles tab, and double click Note text (while your cursor is in the offending paragraph). So, I'm sure someone with more experience with this than me can give you a better reason for the why, but this should fix it relatively easily (depending on how many footnotes are messed up.)