Feature request: TAB key in lists?

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

peter.malik
Already downloaded the guide

Feature request: TAB key in lists?

Post by peter.malik »

Hey folks,

I think it'd be rather useful if one could a TAB key to decrease a level in a list and an ENTER key to increase, rather than clicking an arrow in the "List" palette. What say you? (Btw, haven't heard from the Redlers in a while, are you guys busy writing an iPad version? :P)

Pete
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Feature request: TAB key in lists?

Post by rpcameron »

Since ⇥ (tab) and ↵ (return) have other functions, why not default to what most other software uses: ⌘[ to decrease the indent, and ⌘] to increase the indent. Similarly, such a command could equally be used in an Auto-Title to promote/demote an Auto-Title, whether in the text or in the outline pane.
— Robert Cameron
peter.malik

Post by peter.malik »

I could live with that! :)
peter.malik

Post by peter.malik »

As for autotitles, I do love the function, but I'm disappointed that one can't just swap autotitle levels (in terms of formatting, etc.). It would make things a whole lot easier when adding new levels and when changing the structure of a larger document (such as an academic monograph).
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

peter.malik wrote:As for autotitles, I do love the function, but I'm disappointed that one can't just swap autotitle levels (in terms of formatting, etc.). It would make things a whole lot easier when adding new levels and when changing the structure of a larger document (such as an academic monograph).
What exactly do you mean by ‘swap autotitle levels’? Do you mean to promote/demote an Auto-Title? If so, this can be done in the outline pane with the buttons at the bottom for just that purpose.
— Robert Cameron
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

peter.malik wrote:Hey folks,

I think it'd be rather useful if one could a TAB key to decrease a level in a list and an ENTER key to increase, rather than clicking an arrow in the "List" palette. What say you? (Btw, haven't heard from the Redlers in a while, are you guys busy writing an iPad version? :P)

Pete
Command-ALT-5 and Command-ALT-6 do exactly what you want in lists. What’s wrong with that? (At least that works on German Keyboard and has ever worked since there are lists I think.)
Reiner
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Reiner wrote:
peter.malik wrote:Hey folks,

Pete
Command-ALT-5 and Command-ALT-6 do exactly what you want in lists. What’s wrong with that? (At least that works on German Keyboard and has ever worked since there are lists I think.)
I decided to open up Mellel and see if there is a shortcut already assigned, and there is: ⌘] to increase, ⌘[ to decrease and ⌘\ to reset (as in, remove the list style). So, Mellel does indeed already have shortcuts to do what you wanted, and they are inline with what most every other piece of software uses.

As far as Auto-Titles go, right–click on an Auto-Title, and there is a menu entry for ‘Auto-Title flow’, and from there you can change the Auto-Title level assigned to the Auto-Title you just clicked on. (Similarly, there is also an ‘Auto-Title’ entry further down in the menu, which performs the same function. The one further below is always available, and will convert whichever selected text you want into an Auto-Title with the level of your choosing. If you select an existing Auto-Title, menu entries specific for the Auto-Title appear at the top of the context menu. This behavior is redundant and ought to be fixed.)

In regards to the Outline pane: If you select an Auto-Title in the Outline pane, ⌘← (CMD + LEFT ARROW) will promote the Auto-Title to a level higher than its current level, and ⌘→ (CMD + RIGHT ARROW) will demote the Auto-Title to a level lower.

Therefore, I think this thread ought to be considered solved.
— Robert Cameron