Small Caps and Italic/Bold

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

shades
Knows everything, can prove it

Small Caps and Italic/Bold

Post by shades »

I use small caps frequently in one type of (weekly) project. The problem I run into is that sometimes the context is regular, sometimes italic, and sometimes bold. The problem is that Mellel does not allow both small caps and italic, or small caps and blood for the same text.

This is a public document seen every week, so necessary to look professional. Is there any solution to this?
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
rpcameron

Re: Small Caps and Italic/Bold

Post by rpcameron »

I suppose that seems to be a font issue, assuming you're using real small caps and not the fake type. If you're using real small caps, and are unable to use them in bold italic, are you certain that your chosen face offers a bold italic small cap?
— Robert Cameron
shades

Post by shades »

Yes, it has those, and they work fine in other programs.

However, the only work around is that I set up another Character style, with options for Bold Small Caps, Italic Small Caps, and Bold Italic Small Caps. I also had to make sure that the small caps comes into play; that is, there are two places: OpenType and Case.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/2wkeq4h55 ... Mellel.png
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

If I remember correctly, the "Case" option for small caps are fake small caps. The option under "OpenType" are to select the true small caps supplied in a font.

And yes, reading your description for your "workaround", it does not sound like a workaround at all, but rather the way one would do it: Create a character style which is a duplicate of your main style but with the OpenType small caps activated; this will allow the variations for bold/italic/bold italic to match the main and small cap versions. Another option may be to use one of your main style's variations for the small caps feature; but you would need additional variations for the bold/italic/&c.
— Robert Cameron