small request for Find and Replace (blocking sections)

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

DanZac
Knows everything, can prove it

small request for Find and Replace (blocking sections)

Post by DanZac »

I'd like to request that for the "search in" options of find and replace, an option of "excluding bibliography" be included. With doing find and replace in the body of our text, we usually shouldn't be altering titles, etc., in our (live) bibliography.

I recognize there are workarounds which I will use for my situation, but this would be a handy little tweak.

EDIT

Actually, what would be good is perhaps a way to effectively ignore certain things.

For example, I'm having to update a manuscript for a certain publisher. Their abbreviations for biblical books differs from what I used. I am using find and replace for main text and footnotes, but the main text is changing things in my bibliography. I can regenerate my bibliography. BUT it is also changing things in quotations, which isn't good.
vinesy
Read the guide!

Re: small request for Find and Replace (blocking sections)

Post by vinesy »

To make this work, I think we need a "select all occurrences of a style" feature, (e.g. select all "body") - not only would this have a benefit for word count purposes,(viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1841&hilit=+occurrences#p13665), but also ...

... you could have a checkbox in the find/replace dialogue called: "search within selection only."

e.g."select all body">find/replace>"search within selection."

I think, if implemented, these two features would achieve what you are after.