Auto-Titles - simple instructions, please!

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Nifty
Got the auto-title mojo working

Auto-Titles - simple instructions, please!

Post by Nifty »

Mellel 3.4.3b2 (on Snow Leopard)

I understand what an auto-title is and can do (and I've watched the video on using Auto-Titles), but despite having searched/read quite possibly all of the questions/comments on the forum, as well as Mellel's help, I am still unclear as to precisely the steps to take to create my own levels from scratch, and/or to change the font for the insert element on the A-T edit box, Format. There's reference to Mentions style, but there is no Mentions style on my version of Mellel.

On the forum Don Broadribb provided a ink to his Beginner's Guide to Auto-Titles but the link leads to Mellel's home page which makes me think the Guide has been removed? If he or someone could also send me a link to that guide then that would be helpful, please.
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Auto-Titles - simple instructions, please!

Post by rpcameron »

There's a rather extensive chapter in the Mellel Guide that covers Auto-Titles (as well as Mentions and Style Sets). To read the Guide, select “Mellel Guide” from the “Help” menu.

Because the concept of Auto-Titles, Auto-Title title flows, Style Sets and other linked topics (such as Mentions) are so extensive, I recommend reading the Mellel Guide for those topics. (The Mellel Guide accessed from the Help menu is a PDF, a link to a Mellel-formatted version is on the website.)

As far as the Beginner's Guide, the Redlers are no longer hosting it on their site (or if they are, it isn't linked from any other the pages, and requires a direct URI). Also, Don passed away several years ago, and I do not believe anyone else is maintaining the Beginner's Guide.

If you still have further questions about Auto-Titles after checking with the Guide, feel free to post them here.
— Robert Cameron
Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Noted, thank you
Nifty

Post by Nifty »

I have a question.

I have saved the styles I want for character and paragraph; also I've changed the layout for the auto-title )for the different levels, but the font that the auto-title uses is courier whereas I want Times Roman.

What should I do now please to change courier to a font I want.
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by rpcameron »

Nifty wrote:I have a question.

I have saved the styles I want for character and paragraph; also I've changed the layout for the auto-title )for the different levels, but the font that the auto-title uses is courier whereas I want Times Roman.

What should I do now please to change courier to a font I want.
Open the Auto-Title window ('Insert > Auto-Title > Edit title flows…'). Then, in the 'Format' tab, select the portions of the Auto-Title you want to style, then choose your styles (Character and/or Paragraph) from either the menus or the palettes.

Also, from the Mellel Guide (Auto-titles (headings), p240):
The format area
The format area is a simply text editing area, where you can add text, insert elements from the Elements pop-up menu, and apply various character and paragraph options and styles from the Character and Paragraph palettes.
The Preview area
The Preview displays the formatted auto-title as it would appear in the text. The numbering of the titles is dependent on their actual position in the text, and in the Preview area they will be displayed as if they were the first of their type (for example “1.a.1”).
— Robert Cameron