Feature request: Dynamic character style matching for lists and tables

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

practik
Got the styles thing figured out

Feature request: Dynamic character style matching for lists and tables

Post by practik »

In the Edit Style window for a list style, the Character Style popover includes a Style pulldown menu, where I can choose any of my defined character styles for the list symbol. Unfortunately, that menu is missing the one option I really want, which might be called something like “Match text character style.” Choosing this option would set the symbol character style to be the same as the character style of whatever text it’s applied to – and if the text is later changed to a different character style, the symbol character style would automatically change to match.

For example, suppose I have the body of a document set to the default Body character style, 11-point black regular Helvetica Neue. This document includes several numbered lists set to the default Numbered list style, which means their numbering is also 11-point black regular Helvetica Neue. So far, so good.

But now suppose I decide I want all my lists to be 10-point blue italic Cambria, so I create a new character style for that. I apply this new style to all my lists, and their text changes – but their numbering stays 11-point black regular Helvetica. With the new list style option I’m imagining, the numbering would automatically change to match the text.

Would it be possible to add this feature? It could be very useful.
practik
Got the styles thing figured out

Re: Feature request: Dynamic character style matching for lists and tables

Post by practik »

I've just changed the title of this post (formerly "Feature request: Dynamically match list symbol character style to text character style") to include tables as well.

As with list symbols, I would love to be able to match the character style of my tables to the character style of whatever line the table has been inserted on. And as with list symbols, I imagine this would be a new option in the font menu on the the Character Style popover when editing a table style.

This request is slightly different from the list request – that one is about matching list symbols to list text, while this one is about matching table character styles to document character styles. But it seemed similar enough to add it to the same thread, rather than start a new one.

I'm mildly surprised no one else has said they want this feature in the 16 months since I originally suggested it for lists. I guess I just really like using one font consistently throughout an entire document :-)