Merging two indexed documents

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

nick
New to all this

Merging two indexed documents

Post by nick »

Hi,
Is there any possibility to merge two different documents already indexed using the same index name.
I tried without success: the indexed items of document #2 whose content has been copied in document #1 show a bullet the beginning of the line where they have been marked, but there is no way to add these items to the ones of document #1. The index pane only only shows items already marked in document #1.
I think it could be a very useful feature - at least for me - to have the possibility to merge indexed documents.
Thanks for reading, commenting or giving any clue to solve this issue.
Nick
Icelander
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Merging two indexed documents

Post by Icelander »

Hello Nick,
I think it could be a very useful feature - at least for me - to have the possibility to merge indexed documents.
I agree. In Nisus Writer Pro this works flawlessly.
the indexed items of document #2 whose content has been copied in document #1 show a bullet [at] the beginning of the line where they have been marked, but there is no way to add these items to the ones of document #1.
In Mellel, the only way seems to be to go through the whole document #2 and assign manually index markers once AGAIN to each word in document #2 that you wish to appear in the index. This is time consuming and marked entries are prone to be overlooked and then forgotten, or in one word: a real bummer.

I also wished we could search for index locators using the Find/Replace pane, like we can do in Nisus.
nick
New to all this

Re: Merging two indexed documents

Post by nick »

Hi Icelander,

Thanks for your message.
In Mellel, the only way seems to be to go through the whole document #2 and assign manually index markers once AGAIN to each word in document #2 that you wish to appear in the index. This is time consuming and marked entries are prone to be overlooked and then forgotten, or in one word: a real bummer.

I also wished we could search for index locators using the Find/Replace pane, like we can do in Nisus.
Indeed that's what I feared. With a manuscript of more than 730 pages (+1050 footnotes and ca. 1000 text references) that I decided to rearrange in two volumes, it will not be an easy task.

I second your proposal and would like to add also:
1. when one clicks on Add Record in the Quick Index Popover, the added marked record automatically copied in the seach panel.
2. the ability to search for records separately in the main text and/or in the footnotes like in the Find/Replace pane.

Let's hope the Redlers will improve the Index capabilities, although already powerful, of Mellel very soon... I have been using it every day for more than 14 years. I think now it's time to polish some of the great features already implemented (indexing, tables management, doc compatibilities).

All the best,
Nick