Numeral Alignment to Period in Lists

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Adrian
New to all this

Numeral Alignment to Period in Lists

Post by Adrian »

Hi,

Please help me with this: I finished writing my dissertation in Mellel. In various tables, I need to have lists that are aligned to the period, like this:
  1. Element 1
  2. Element 2
  3. Element 3
Instead, Mellel aligns the Roman numbers to the left (the text of the Elements is aligned as it should in Mellel; could not reproduce it here):
i. Element 1
ii. Element 2
iii. Element 3

How can I align the numerals to the period, like in the first example? Here you have a picture with what I have and what I need:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ub204tr5yoo0 ... t.jpg?dl=0

Thank you for your help.
DavidH
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Numeral Alignment to Period in Lists

Post by DavidH »

Looks like you need what Mellel calls a reverse tab, placed on the ruler just to the right of where you want your periods to be. The reverse tab icon is the next to last one in the tab well at the left hand end of the toolbar. Drag that icon onto the ruler where you want the reverse tab to be, once your cursor is in the relevant paragraph or table cell. Hit the tab key to get to the location of the reverse tab, then type your small roman numeral and the period; they'll appear to the left of the reverse tab, extending as far to the left as they need to, which is just what you want.
jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Numeral Alignment to Period in Lists

Post by jannuss »

There is also a decimal tab which is great for lining up columns of numbers
<tab> 11.001
<tab> 111.01
<tab> 1111.1
Getting it to work with Roman Numerals might be a bit of a challenge

Janet

ooooops: the system refuses to allow my multiple spaces for some reason -- the tab does wouk on Mellel