Page Style Break Question

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Acpart
New to all this

Page Style Break Question

Post by Acpart »

I'm working on a book length document that will have Hebrew and English on facing pages. The first few pages (title, table of contents etc.) is meant to have no page numbers, the next pages (preface, intro) will have Roman numerals and the bulk of the document will have Arabic numerals. When I put in a "page style break" it also adds a blank page to my document right before the new page style. This will obviously cause problems for the company who will be printing the document since it will affect how the pages line up in reference to each other. I suppose I can create 3 different PDF's and edit them into one, but I'm wondering if there's a way to deal with this in Mellel directly.
jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Page Style Break Question

Post by jannuss »

I don't have an answer to your question, but I am curios to know why you've chosen to work the way you have.

1. Why not use a single page style with different odd and even pages?

2. How are you going to deal with the flow of text from one page to the next?

Janet
Amontillado

Post by Amontillado »

I'm a Mellel newbie. Take what I have to say with a grain of salt, if not morphine, but I can duplicate what I think you're seeing.

I have to set some specific options and I think I see a work-around. Does this scenario match what you see?

Set the "insert before" option in an auto-title to "column break".

Type some stuff on page 1.

Insert a page style break.

That accomplishes the same thing as a page break, visually, and I'm now looking at page 2.

Start page 2 with the modified, column-break-before, auto-title.

Now I'm on page 3, with a blank page 2.

I think the logic is Mellel is breaking to a new column in a one-column section, which must be pretty much like a page break.

Mellel also sees the page style break, which also advances to a new page.

If you need the column break in some contexts, then the answer is probably to make a copy of the auto-title so you have one with the break and one without it. If you duplicate the "include in TOC" option, then your table of contents should remain the same.

Or, of course, I've missed the target. That happens.
Acpart
New to all this

Post by Acpart »

I'm not using a simple page style with odd and even pages because I want the title pages and the table of contents (consecutive pages) to have no page numbers. I want the preface and intro that follow to have Roman numerals (starting from "i"), and then I want the rest of the document to have Arabic numerals starting with page 1. It's not that I want the English and Hebrew pages to have corresponding numbers. If I follow your suggestion, I will still have a document, as far as I can understand, that will number consecutively in the number type of my choice from wherever I choose to start the numbering.

The work around suggestion with auto-titles is not something I want to get into. At this point, my best solution is to produce 3 PDF documents, one with no page numbers, one with Roman numerals and one with Arabic numerals and then stitch them together into a single PDF using Acrobat. I was kind of hoping to hear that I was either using the wrong command or that if I only hold down the shift key or something I wouldn't get that extra page. Oh well . . .
Amontillado

Post by Amontillado »

I may not have communicated very well. What I meant was I found an autotitle setting that would cause the problem, if you are using autotitles.

If you aren't using autotitles at all, nothing I said has any application. It was just a wild guess.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Acpart wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:17 am my best solution is to produce 3 PDF documents
No, that is your worst solution.

When I put in a "page style break" it also adds a blank page to my document right before the new page style.
Your Range Start (in the Page palette > Attributes) is probably wrongly set to Even Page or Odd Page instead of Any Page.

To fix this you must
(1) delete each Page style break with wrong Range Start,
(2) change the Range Start to Any Page and then
(3) insert a new Page style break again.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

The following basic draft shows where to put the page style breaks:

Title [followed by Page break] No page numbers
Table of Contents [followed by Page style break]; Range Start: Any Page No page numbers
Preface [followed by Page break] Roman numerals
Introduction [followed by Page style break]; Range Start: Any Page Roman numerals
Bulk of document Arabic numerals

Only Table of Contents and Introduction are followed by a Page style break.
Acpart
New to all this

Post by Acpart »

Thank you very much! This worked. I didn't realize that the "page style break" was actually a page break+style break. There was a little bit of trial and error getting the proper page numbers to show up but everything looks as it should now. I really appreciate the advice.

Aliza