32%
No, tables are OK as they are
No votes

Total votes: 47

herouth
New to all this

Feature request: table styles

Post by herouth »

Some documents contain several tables all having the same characteristics - The same styling of the borders, the same column widths, etc.

I suggest the ability to better control column widths (ability to set exact sizes), and to create table styles, so you may enter the same kind of table again and again, and moreover, if you want to change a column width or a border style, it changes in all the occurences.

This may require looking at border styles a bit differently, because one may want to see them as a global attribute, such that the top row, the bottom row, the left and right columns may have a different border definition than the inner cells, to allow the table a heavy frame, to separate the header from the rest of the table, and so on.
aechallu
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by aechallu »

I agree, this would be really useful, I had proposed something along these lines some time ago.
Mart°n
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Mart°n »

I would also like to see other improvements to tables that could be squeezed into styles:

• Option to create alternate row colors (every 2nd, 3rd…)
• Background image instead of background color
• Behaviour of tables that are several pages long (header at every new page…)

Other improvements to tables that shouldn’t be part of a style:

• Exact size of a table cell (width and height)
• Table as a element that could be fixed on a page
• Text flow around tables

Edit: typo
euanmckay
Got the styles thing figured out

Re: Feature request: table styles

Post by euanmckay »

Any progress on this front?
peter.malik
Already downloaded the guide

Post by peter.malik »

Yes, table styles are a huge desideratum. My thesis document already contains some 60 tables (and increasing), and every table is a pain to customise. Moreover, as noted numerous times, autotitles don't function within tables—which greatly limits their usefulness.
timofcanberra
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by timofcanberra »

I agree. I have 203 tables in my thesis but they are all done in Adobe Indesign and imported as 300dpi png images. While I have no specific style requirements for my tables I know some disciplines are very strict on how tables should look and this needs to be fixed soon as not everybody can afford alternative software to do what should be mandatory in an academic word processor. Coupled with captions that stick to the tables these are my two most disappointing areas of Mellel in terms of speed of implementation.