Snow Leopard Crashes and Problems

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Snow Leopard Crashes and Problems

Post by rpcameron »

There are now three separate threads about Mellel crashing under Snow Leopard. All three indicate crashes or other strange behavior with regard to Style Sets and fonts. If you are upgrading your current installation to Snow Leopard (as I presume most users will do), or are restoring a backed-up ~/LIbrary/Application Support/Mellel/ folder you should look out for font problems. A clean install of Mellel, or removing Mellel's Application Support folder and preferences, seems to remedy this problem. However, this means you will lose your existing Style Sets, Auto-Title setups and other preferences.

If you have already installed Snow Leopard and are having problems, here are a few things to check out first:
  • Are all of your fonts still available and usable? Open a TextEdit window and test out your fonts. This is especially important for each font that you have used in your Style Sets. If they are not available, (re)install them through Font Book to make sure that Mellel has access to them.
  • Are you using a third-party font manager? If so, try disabling the font manager and let OS X manage the fonts.
  • Perhaps your font cache has become corrupted. Open a Terminal window and enter the following command:

Code: Select all

atsutil databases -removeUser
    Now reboot your system so OS X can rebuild your font cache.
Because all of the reported problems seem to involve font issues, I believe that simple font troubleshooting will probably work for most users. There seems to be some problems during the upgrade with either a corrupted font cache, or font activation issues when third-party font managers are used. If problems still continue, remember that in addition to the forum there is always the Redlers themselves—email them at support@redlers.com as that will probably be your best option.

The other three threads mentioned are:
— Robert Cameron
Benja
Read the guide!

Re: Snow Leopard Crashes and Problems

Post by Benja »

Thanks, Patrick. That's very helpful.

I'm trying all of those things, having upgraded and experiences some issues (although not crashes at this point - thank God).

I'm in the middle of writing my dissertation, so I really want this to work!
Benja
Read the guide!

Post by Benja »

Holy rusted metal!

It worked, Patrick! Big kiss for you, my friend.
stevicus
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by stevicus »

Benja wrote:Thanks, Patrick. That's very helpful.

I'm trying all of those things, having upgraded and experiences some issues (although not crashes at this point - thank God).

I'm in the middle of writing my dissertation, so I really want this to work!
0_o !!! I am glad you are back in business but honestly can't believe you updated to a new "point version" of OS 10 while writing your dissertation. I love the bleeding edge too, but maybe after you hand in the manuscript... 8)
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

stevicus wrote:I am glad you are back in business but honestly can't believe you updated to a new "point version" of OS 10 while writing your dissertation.
Agreed! Although to hype and marketing may indicate there is no danger in a full major version upgrade, there is still always the risk. Never update your main production system without testing and research, especially if you are in the middle of a critical project!
— Robert Cameron
stevicus

Post by stevicus »

rpcameron wrote: Agreed! Although to hype and marketing may indicate there is no danger in a full major version upgrade, there is still always the risk. Never update your main production system without testing and research, especially if you are in the middle of a critical project!
I basically consider anything 10.x.0 to be the release candidate :D But since SL is primarily a collection of improvements, optimizations, and what not, I was expecting 10.6.0 to be relatively functional, which seems to be the case.
Benja
Read the guide!

Post by Benja »

Honestly, guys. As if there aren't significant problems with Mellel that don't have anything to do with the system upgrade. Keyboard shortcuts, footnotes and section breaks, the save-undo fiasco.

If I waited until there weren't any issues, I wouldn't be using Mellel.

And for the record, things like column recognition in Preview/Skim mean that the upgrade was really worth doing for me. It's not simply a matter of wanting to have the latest thing.
verma

Post by verma »

rpcameron wrote:
stevicus wrote:I am glad you are back in business but honestly can't believe you updated to a new "point version" of OS 10 while writing your dissertation.
Agreed! Although to hype and marketing may indicate there is no danger in a full major version upgrade, there is still always the risk. Never update your main production system without testing and research, especially if you are in the middle of a critical project!
Sound advice, but I'm always in the middle of a critical project... :wink:

I haven't got time yet to go out and buy SL, but I'll do a clean install and then migrate back. I assume the Migration Assistant in SL is good (never had problems with Leo there).
ramu_berlin
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by ramu_berlin »

dear folks,

i am not sure, if it is only the installed fonts that cause trouble. I tried to use my backed-up files on a previous installation of 10.5 that was left untouched on an external hard drive. At least the documents I once opened and used on 10.6 have now became corrupted, too. They don't work anymore using them back on mellel with mac os x 10.5. Only those files untouched by 10.6 are working fine.

Is there any way how I can rebuilt/repair/recreate my 400 pages doc without loosing all the footnotes, bibliography, rtf formats? I wouldn't mind to newly create my style sets. But im-and export as a rtf. documents makes me loose the bibliography, footnotes and so on.

any help welcome!

ralf
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

ramu_berlin wrote:dear folks,

i am not sure, if it is only the installed fonts that cause trouble. I tried to use my backed-up files on a previous installation of 10.5 that was left untouched on an external hard drive. At least the documents I once opened and used on 10.6 have now became corrupted, too. They don't work anymore using them back on mellel with mac os x 10.5. Only those files untouched by 10.6 are working fine.

Is there any way how I can rebuilt/repair/recreate my 400 pages doc without loosing all the footnotes, bibliography, rtf formats? I wouldn't mind to newly create my style sets. But im-and export as a rtf. documents makes me loose the bibliography, footnotes and so on.

any help welcome!

ralf
Ralf, I've written to you about this separately.
Ori Redler from RedleX
euanmckay
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by euanmckay »

I find that when there is a global style set, Mellel crashes, even after disabling duplicate fonts and removing all font caches. But deleting all except the default style set I can use Mellel without problems. When 2.7 comes out, I'll just set the style set to global again and hopefully all will be well.
nalugu

Post by nalugu »

WOW rpcameron I just wanted to say THANK YOU you saved my day and much, much more! You're a wizard!
Updated yesterday from Snow Leo 10.6.1 to 10.6.2 and nearly all my mellel files got corrupted in the weirdest ways. After an hour of desperation & desperate seeking for a solution I tried your terminal-trick and it worked! Don't know what I'd have done without you...
rpcameron to be nominated for something really fancy&good-tasting! :D
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

nalugu wrote:WOW rpcameron I just wanted to say THANK YOU you saved my day and much, much more! You're a wizard!
Updated yesterday from Snow Leo 10.6.1 to 10.6.2 and nearly all my mellel files got corrupted in the weirdest ways. After an hour of desperation & desperate seeking for a solution I tried your terminal-trick and it worked! Don't know what I'd have done without you...
rpcameron to be nominated for something really fancy&good-tasting! :D
Personally, I must say I'm flattered. However, the greatest strength of Mellel (beyond its great typography and multilingual capabilities) is its user community. Part of what keeps me using Mellel is the fact that the answer to most any question or problem can be found on the fora, either in a previous post or within 72 hours. Therefore, no thanks are really needed, but you're most welcome.

But, if you want to offer something fancy and good-tasting, I would love to receive some gorgeous black truffles!
— Robert Cameron