Mellel Tutorial for beginners (for version 2.7)

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Ori Redler
One of the boys

Mellel Tutorial for beginners (for version 2.7)

Post by Ori Redler »

Donald Broadribb updated his wonderful tutorial for beginners.
I append here a few explanatory notes from Don, and a warm recommendation:
The purpose of the Tutorial is not only to initiate the complete newcomer to Mellel, as well as switchers from the Windows system, but also to help the more experienced users learn step-by-step how to use features of Mellel that they may not be confident about using. In addition, questions frequently asked on the Mellel forum are also largely addressed. The difference between the Tutorial and the Mellel Guide is the Tutorial's attempt to give detailed instructions, with illustrations, on most matters. It is, in fact, the abundant illustrations that make the Tutorial so many megabytes in size.
The tutorial has been reworked not only to incorporate details about using Mellel 2.7 but also to reflect changes caused by the introduction of Snow Leopard. The chapter on images has been completely rewritten, there has been major rewriting of the chapter on Auto-titles. And a vast number of cross-references has been incorporated. Those who use the Mellel version of the Tutorial can see the details of the cross reference system in action, by looking at the cross-references as explained in the Cross References chapter.
For the PDF
http://www.connectnw.com/redlers/tips/m ... inners.pdf

For the file in Mellel format
http://www.connectnw.com/redlers/tips/m ... mellel.zip
Ori Redler from RedleX
verma
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Mellel Tutorial for beginners (for version 2.7)

Post by verma »

Could it be that some images are missing from the .mellel version?

Thanks to Don for all the good work!
donb

Post by donb »

You are quite right. For some reason a large number of images did not come through in the Mellel version of the Tutorial. I am currently investigating the problem and will replace the current defective file with a proper one shortly.

Don Broadribb
laup

Post by laup »

Don, do you have an estimate of when this will happen? I am about to set aside some time to do a complete read-through for the first time in quite awhile; I could do it with the pdf, but if the Mellel version is fairly imminent, I'll hang on.

The tutorial is a great service.
Paul
nib
New to all this

Post by nib »

I, too was planning to give the tutorial a serious study. I've been wanting to see if I can make Mellel my primary word processor. I'd much prefer to use the Mellel version rather than the pdf version. Here's hoping it won't be too long coming. I'd also like to thank you for your work on this tutorial. It is much appreciated.
donb

Post by donb »

As I understand it, the current Mellel Tutorial text downloadable from the Redlers' site is my corrected version with all images visible.

Don Broadribb
laup

Post by laup »

Don, I just re-downloaded a few moments ago. However, there are tens of figures throughout that show up as gray rectangles with a question mark in the top left corner. Two examples are on page 91 ((e.g., Figure 165).

The file says Modified Sunday, September 6, 2009. The link says September 15.
http://redlers.com/supporttutorials.htm ... rial-49575
Paul
miles11

Post by miles11 »

I'm a longtime Mellel user who read the tutorial and found it useful.

There's a free PDF reader called Skim that's terrific. It makes it a snap to navigate long PDF files from the table of contents. You can highlight sections of interest, or circle them, add regular and anchored notes. And you can save your notes and markings so they'll appear next time you open the same PDF file. Skim has a load of other features, too. I've saved all of my long users manuals as PDF's in order to easily read them in Skim.

Again, it's free, stable and useful.

Run a search at versiontracker.com and it'll pop up.
donb

Post by donb »

In regard to problems with the images in my Tutorial, I thought they had been fixed, but I just downloaded the current version at the Redlers' site, and found that some of the problems still remain.

However, until the problems get fixed, you can download the Mellel version of the Tutorial from my personal website:

http://web.me.com/donbroadribb1/donbroa ... erkoj.html

Despite the website being in Esperanto, that URL will take you to a page which allows you to download the Tutorial, in zipped form. It's 20 megabytes, but I can guarantee that when unzipped it includes all the images in all their glorious (?) form. I have just verified that this is the case.

Don Broadribb
nib
New to all this

Post by nib »

Thank you so much for making this available. I've been meaning for some time to get familiar with Mellel and your tutorial will be a huge help. This is much more convenient than working with a pdf file.