iPad Version

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

kcwookie
Got the styles thing figured out

iPad Version

Post by kcwookie »

In a few short days the iPad will be released. While it is not a full computer (what percentage is unknown), I was wondering if there were any thoughts on making Mellel for the pad? When it is launched, it will be interesting to see if apps such as QuickOffice work, or if the only productivity apps that will do are those from Apple. Mellel is one of my favorite writing tools and I would like to see a version on the iPad. I don't know if it would need to be a full version or just a gateway model. I'm one of those who think that the iPad will pleasantly alter my work flow and would like to have my Mellel.

Thoughts anyone?
Hendrix

Re: iPad Version

Post by Hendrix »

I'm also interested in using the iPad for working (reading and note taking, mind mapping, writing, preparing and delivering presentations). Some of the basic tools for such a trade are already announced (iWork, some Omni apps like OmniGraffle and OmniGraphSketcher, and DEVONpad and Sente...). I'd love to be able to use Mellel, even if it would be a limited version. Else, I'll have to "learn" to use Pages.
Manuel Aguilar Hendrickson
Departament de Treball social i serveis socials
Universitat de Barcelona
08035 Barcelona (Spain)
manuel.aguilar.hendrickson@ub.edu
Jake-1

Post by Jake-1 »

I'm about a thousand times more interested in track changes than in an iPad version, although that's no doubt because I don't have an iPad. On a slightly more serious note, Mellel excels at long documents; although I'm sure someone will try writing a book on the iPad, it seems like most people would use conventional laptops or desktops for that.
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by rpcameron »

After reading all of the reviews of Pages for the iPad, I think that Mellel on the desktop needs quite a bit more refinement before it can stand up to a touch-only interface. Granted, after hearing almost nothing good about Pages it wouldn't be difficult to do better, but I feel that Mellel still needs some work on the desktop before it is ready a new paradigm of computing.
— Robert Cameron
kjmatthews

Post by kjmatthews »

I'm inclined to agree with rpcameron. I'd also hate for the Redlers to take any time away from their (at times slow) desktop development cycle. As much as I would love to have an iPad and a corresponding version of Mellel, I'm not sure the ethos of Mellel is entirely compatible with that of the iPad anyway. I bet those palettes would look lovely as iPad-style drop down menus, though…
laup

Post by laup »

It "ought" to be easy for Mellel documents to be readable on the iPad, as are many other document types such as .doc. That would at least allow for reading drafts. I don't think that the touch paradigm should be wholly dismissed. It would be useful to be able to edit drafts of Mellel documents while traveling with an iPad. Personally, I bought a Bluetooth keyboard so that I could do emails, Keynote briefings, etc. while traveling without a computer. I don't have a sense for what is involved in making Mellel usable on an iPad, but some partial measures might be valuable. But maybe that's beyond the pale. What I do believe is that the iPad must be taken very very seriously.
Paul
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

While I don't have strong feelings as to whether Mellel makes it to the iPad, something that would be REALLY good has already been mentioned - being able to at least read Mellel files on the iPad.

I'd like to suggest that the Redlers work with the developers of DEVONthink's upcoming iPad/iPhone app, as well as Good Reader's developer, so that Mellel files can be at least viewed on the iPad/iPhone.
kcjimmyk
Read the guide!

Post by kcjimmyk »

DanZac wrote:While I don't have strong feelings as to whether Mellel makes it to the iPad, something that would be REALLY good has already been mentioned - being able to at least read Mellel files on the iPad.

I'd like to suggest that the Redlers work with the developers of DEVONthink's upcoming iPad/iPhone app, as well as Good Reader's developer, so that Mellel files can be at least viewed on the iPad/iPhone.
Print the Mellel document to PDF then import it to iPad with Good Reader. From there you can open it in a variety of PDF viewer programs, including ibooks
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

Yes I realize that, but this is a rather cumbersome solution. I have many mellel Docs on my devonthik databases, which will soon be sitting on my iPad. I doing want to make PDF of every one.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

DanZac wrote:While I don't have strong feelings as to whether Mellel makes it to the iPad, something that would be REALLY good has already been mentioned - being able to at least read Mellel files on the iPad.

As has been suggested, if all you want is to read your documents on the iPad, then exporting to PDF is your best option. (The hassle of getting third-party documents onto the iPad is another matter all together, though ...)

However, if you wish you have Mellel documents more accessible through DEVONthink, then that is not something that the Mellel developers need to focus upon, but rather DEVON's people. Again, this is another reason why having a proper and valid XML format would benefit Mellel: allowing other programs to properly interact and display Mellel's content. If you want DEVONthink to better support Mellel (whether on OS X or iOS), then you don't need to ask Mellel's developers to work with DEVON, but rather to live up their promise to deliver a true XML format that may be implemented by third-parties. Mellel's developers don't seem to see that there is any need for proper documentation of their format, and that few users would benefit from them offering it—now is your chance to let them know that you would to see true interoperability.
— Robert Cameron
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

rpcameron wrote: As has been suggested, if all you want is to read your documents on the iPad, then exporting to PDF is your best option. (The hassle of getting third-party documents onto the iPad is another matter all together, though ...)

However, if you wish you have Mellel documents more accessible through DEVONthink, then that is not something that the Mellel developers need to focus upon, but rather DEVON's people. Again, this is another reason why having a proper and valid XML format would benefit Mellel: allowing other programs to properly interact and display Mellel's content. If you want DEVONthink to better support Mellel (whether on OS X or iOS), then you don't need to ask Mellel's developers to work with DEVON, but rather to live up their promise to deliver a true XML format that may be implemented by third-parties. Mellel's developers don't seem to see that there is any need for proper documentation of their format, and that few users would benefit from them offering it—now is your chance to let them know that you would to see true interoperability.
Dear Redlers, ditto
kjmatthews

Post by kjmatthews »

rpcameron wrote:However, if you wish you have Mellel documents more accessible through DEVONthink, then that is not something that the Mellel developers need to focus upon, but rather DEVON's people.
I fully support the creation and elucidation of Mellel's valid XML format, but a stop-gap measure for easier access to —but, alas, not editing of— Mellel documents in DT would be the option to create a "QuickLook/preview.pdf" file inside the .mellel package when saving docs. DT automatically looks for the PDF on the desktop, so it's reasonable, I think, to assume that it will on the iPhone/iPad as well.
redlers
Site Admin

Post by redlers »

kcwookie wrote:In a few short days the iPad will be released. While it is not a full computer (what percentage is unknown), I was wondering if there were any thoughts on making Mellel for the pad? When it is launched, it will be interesting to see if apps such as QuickOffice work, or if the only productivity apps that will do are those from Apple. Mellel is one of my favorite writing tools and I would like to see a version on the iPad. I don't know if it would need to be a full version or just a gateway model. I'm one of those who think that the iPad will pleasantly alter my work flow and would like to have my Mellel.

Thoughts anyone?
BTW, there are thoughts about this - but this is not the top item on our menu right now...
kcwookie

Post by kcwookie »

redlers wrote:
kcwookie wrote:In a few short days the iPad will be released. While it is not a full computer (what percentage is unknown), I was wondering if there were any thoughts on making Mellel for the pad? When it is launched, it will be interesting to see if apps such as QuickOffice work, or if the only productivity apps that will do are those from Apple. Mellel is one of my favorite writing tools and I would like to see a version on the iPad. I don't know if it would need to be a full version or just a gateway model. I'm one of those who think that the iPad will pleasantly alter my work flow and would like to have my Mellel.

Thoughts anyone?
BTW, there are thoughts about this - but this is not the top item on our menu right now...
I'm on my second iPad and it has altered my work flow. I do want Mellel on my iPad, but the better solution for me is my planned MellelBook Air. The Macbook Air may be the perfect tool for Mellel. It is light and portable and will run Mellel flawlessly. My biggest concern is when Mellel will be able to handle commenting with Doc or DocX files. I'm working on a major academic project, but I'm stuck with NeoOffice because Mellel won't collaborate well.
laup

Post by laup »

It would be nice to have comments, but what's the big deal? You can always enter a comment as a "change," perhaps in capital letters or perhaps with a symbol in front so that someone could search for just comments. Is there something I'm missing?
Paul