File size

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

raymond
Knows everything, can prove it

File size

Post by raymond »

Hello,

I have a mellel file of about 100 pages and its size is 102 KB. I have inserted a JPG image of 324KB. The file new size now is 299 KB.
How is it possible, or I am mistaken somewhere.

Now, the big surprise: I have exported this file towards WORD format. I have received a new file. I have opened the file with WORD 2011, and saved it again. Now I'am getting a file which size is 33.7 MB.

What have been added to the new WORD file, which can't be sent a simple e0mail, it is too large.

Is there a way to create WORD files smaller, much smaller in size.

TIA
rpcameron

Re: File size

Post by rpcameron »

raymond wrote:I have a mellel file of about 100 pages and its size is 102 KB. I have inserted a JPG image of 324KB. The file new size now is 299 KB.
How is it possible, or I am mistaken somewhere.
There is obviously some level of compression going on here. Either the entire Mellel document is being compressed, or the JPG is being recompressed or resized when it is inserted. Can you open the Mellel file in the Finder to browse its contents? Does the JPG in there match your original image file?
— Robert Cameron
raymond

Post by raymond »

I have done a further attempt, and this time I have exported the Mellel file into RTF file, then opened it by Word, and saved the file as a WORD format. The size, this time was about 900KB.

I will try to follow this way in the future, if there no other way to convince files exported to WORD format to be slimmer.
ozean

Post by ozean »

raymond wrote:I have a mellel file of about 100 pages and its size is 102 KB. I have inserted a JPG image of 324KB. The file new size now is 299 KB.
It could be that the .jpg file includes a preview picture or other meta information that is discarded by Mellel. The image information itself should remain untouched and should not be further compressed (because for a JPEG that would mean loss of quality).
raymond

Post by raymond »

Thanks
ahankinson

Post by ahankinson »

If you're saving in the single-file Mellel format, it uses zip compression to package the file up. You could be seeing the effects of compression on reducing the total file size. To see the original files in the package, rename the file to have a .zip extension and then unzip it.

As for the bloated file size of Word, I only have to guess that adding demon spawn to a document takes up a large amount of storage space. :lol: