List first and last items

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

ahankinson
Knows everything, can prove it

List first and last items

Post by ahankinson »

I want to create a list that has 8pt spacing above the first list item, and 8pt spacing below the last item, but all elements inside the list have 0 above/below spacing. Right now I have to create three paragraph styles for the first, last, and middle elements.

Anyone know a way around this? Seems like an option (space above/below list) that would go nicely in the list style dialog.
ozean

Re: List first and last items

Post by ozean »

I would really like such an option too!
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

It would be quite nice, but right now the only real way to achieve this is to modify the paragraph styles of the elements above or below the list (such as the paragraph before it, the first list item, the following paragraph, or the last list item). It's a bit of a hassle, but that's what I've always had to do.
— Robert Cameron
shades

Post by shades »

That’s the way I do it, too. However, once it is set, then make sure that you choose the following style to follow automatically, so the only one you have to select is the first paragraph style and the last style. And for the last one, set its next paragraph to the “normal” paragraph style (however you have defined it).
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

I also use this type of different styles for continuing paragraphs after block quotes and similar situations. It really is unfortunate that Mellel's style system hasn't improved much since its inception ...
— Robert Cameron