Syncing Mellel setup between Macs

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

DanZac
Knows everything, can prove it

Syncing Mellel setup between Macs

Post by DanZac »

I haven't found any threads on syncing between two computers. Has anyone synced there Mellel prefs using something like SugarSync?
simifilm

Re: Syncing Mellel setup between Macs

Post by simifilm »

DanZac wrote:I haven't found any threads on syncing between two computers. Has anyone synced there Mellel prefs using something like SugarSync?
I use Dropbox. I have symlink which links the Mellel folder in Application Support with a folder in my Dropbox. This way, both machines access the same prefs. Problems can arise when Mellel is open on both machines, but they can easily be resolved.
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

Can you explain how you did this simifilm?
simifilm

Post by simifilm »

DanZac wrote:Can you explain how you did this simifilm?
A symlink is something like an alias, but not quite the same. It also refers to a location on your hard drive, but comes from the Unix side. The main difference between symlinks and aliases is that a symlink is completely transparent, meaning that the file system handles the symlink exactly like the place it refers to which is not the case with aliases.

So I simply move the Mellel folder in ~/Library/Applicaton Support to my Dropbox and create a symlink in Application Support which then refers to the Mellel folder in my Dropbox. This can be replicated on all of your Macs. And voilà – now all your Macs use the same settings for Mellel.

Symlinks are either created in the Terminal with the command ln -s, or you can this little tool: http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/~seiryu/ ... inker.html.
shades

Post by shades »

Thanks for that!
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

thanks !
chmars
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by chmars »

simifilm wrote:Problems can arise when Mellel is open on both machines, but they can easily be resolved.
You end up with more than one version of your files and have to choose one, i.e., you might lose data since cannot merge different files. I still hope that Mellel will sooner or later use file formats with sync support.