Application Support/Mellel folder disappeared-Del. templates

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

dochomer
Got the styles thing figured out

Application Support/Mellel folder disappeared-Del. templates

Post by dochomer »

Dear all,

using Mac OS 10.8.2 and working with Mellel 3.0.2 (MAS), I can't find my Mellel folder under user/library/application support/Mellel any more. Precisely the moment since I bought a second version in the Mac App Store there is NO "~/Library/Application Support/Mellel/" showing up anymore. Time Machine could only recover the old Mellel folder from the Mellel version bought directly from the mellel.com site. How it is possible, then, to delete templates? The guide says that this has to be done by the Terminal, something with which I am not very familiar. I know that one can access the Library folder by pressing 'option/alt' and click the "Go" menu, then choosing "Library" in the "Go" menu. But this 'Go to' "~/Library/Application Support/Mellel/" search cannot not retrieve the folder either.

A bug? I've already tried to make a new install, deleting preferences, but the problem persists. The proper folder (~/Library/Application Support/Mellel/templates), however, must be "out there" as I can choose templates using Mellel.

Has anybody the same problem? Any suggestions?

Christian
ozean
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Application Support/Mellel folder disappeared-Del. templates

Post by ozean »

Could it be that all App Store purchased apps put their stuff into a special folder because of the sandboxing? This is at least my guess. Maybe you can check out ~/Library/Containers for the relevant stuff?

Good luck!
dochomer

Post by dochomer »

Thank you for the suggestion. There is indeed a file in the container folder called "com.redlex.mellel". However, it is just a small file, no folder with format styles or, in this case, templates. Removing it and restarting Mellel does not bring the lost folder back into the -/library/Application support folder.

Christian
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

Due to sandboxing the Mellel preferences and application support data are stored inside the application "container" (which is not the application itself but rather a special folder that the user-specific application data is stored). The templates folder, for example is located at this path:
~/Library/Containers/com.redlex.mellel/Data/Library/Application Support/Mellel/Templates

Two "gotchas", however
a. Under Lion and to all eternity, the Library folder is hidden, you can still get there by pressing the option/alt key and choosing "Library" in the "Go" menu (in the finder)
b. The mellel container looks to the system as a mellel file (because it has the extension .mellel which is the same is the mellel file extension and you therefor cannot just go inside at as a regular folder, instead,you need to right click it and then choose "Show Package Contents"
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
dochomer

Post by dochomer »

b. The mellel container looks to the system as a mellel file (because it has the extension .mellel which is the same is the mellel file extension and you therefor cannot just go inside at as a regular folder, instead,you need to right click it and then choose "Show Package Contents"
This made my day!

Thanks,

Christian