Spell Check Freeze / Crash

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Megan Raby
Got the auto-title mojo working

Spell Check Freeze / Crash

Post by Megan Raby »

If anyone can solve this problem quickly, I will be eternally grateful, since the document that is crashing is the dissertation I am trying to submit ASAP.

Every time I try to spell check this document, which is a bit over 300 pages with Bookends footnotes, I get the spinning wheel of death. Mellel freezes and eventually crashes. I've done this dozens of times today, trying different ways of avoiding the problem, but I can't get far before clicking on "find next" or "ignore" causes Mellel to freeze. I am trying to use the full spell check, because the "check spelling in document" has never seemed to catch everything, sometimes not noticing an incorrect spelling until I click on the word.

I have loved writing my dissertation on Mellel up to this point, but this is extremely frustrating. I thought one of Mellel's strengths was supposed to be its ability to deal with long, footnoted texts. If anyone can think of an alternative way to finish spell checking without messing up my footnotes by exporting to Word, please let me know.

I am using Mac OS 10.5.8, Mellel is up to date. I have tried restarting the computer, as well as re-installing Mellel. I have tried spell checking with and without Bookends being open.
ozean
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Spell Check Freeze / Crash

Post by ozean »

Two things you should be able to try somewhat quickly:

* Open the document in another user account and try the spell check.
* Try to do a spell check while booted into safe mode (by rebooting and keeping the shift key pressed during reboot).

Is this document of a manageable size? You could try to upload it so that others here (or the Redlers) can check if the document crashes during spell check for them too…
macsailor
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by macsailor »

I've got now answer or solution to your problem right now, but what mac do you use? I'm using an old MBP from late 2007 and nearly all my applications are making the beach ball to spin quite often. My solution to my problem was to order a new MBP Retina, hopefully I will get it within the next few days.

I understand that this is not that kind of solution your want or maybe not even need. Hopefully some within the Mellel forum will be able to give you some more adequately solutions regarding your problem with the spell check freeze/crash.

Do you know if this freeze/crash appears or occurs also in other word processors on your computer? What I'm looking for is to see if this misbehaviour is connected only to Mellel or also to other applications as well. If you do not have any other word processors than Mellel, try to download NeoOffice, OpenOffice, LibreOffice or Nisus Writer Pro, just to see if these are behaving the same way or not.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
Megan Raby

Post by Megan Raby »

In safe mode it won't spell check at all. If I click on "check spelling," the edit menu is highlight for a second, but then nothing happens––the spell check window does not appear.
Megan Raby

Post by Megan Raby »

So far, an exported version opens and spell checks fine in Word. I guess I am going to have to check it in Word and manually change spelling back in Mellel unless another solution emerges.
Megan Raby

Post by Megan Raby »

ozean, where/how do I upload my document? Can I make sure it is not public, since this is a document for publication?
Megan Raby

Post by Megan Raby »

Alright, now Word can't find the grammar file for English. This happened pretty close to the same place (about 130 pages in) that I got to when Mellel first started acting up. I guess it is not a Mellel-specific problem, although Mellel's reaction is a lot more catastrophic than in Word (something I never thought I'd say!).
Megan Raby

Post by Megan Raby »

OK, FYI, maybe it is still a Mellel problem, because with spell check only (no grammar), which is what I was doing on Mellel, Word can spellcheck this document without crashing.
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

Hi Megan,

Mellel should not normally crash. It is possible that your document contains something "offensive" that exposes a bug in Mellel and causes it to crash.
Please contact us ASAP at support@redlers.com and supply the crash log (see instructions). Hopefully we'll be able to fix the document or suggest a workaround and, of-course, fix the bug for the benefit of everybody.
To find the crash report, do this:
1. Go to ~/Library/Logs/Crash reporter/
2. Locate the Mellel crash report (it should have Mellel in the file name)
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW