Text flowing around an entire page?

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Enkidum
Got the styles thing figured out

Text flowing around an entire page?

Post by Enkidum »

OK, so there's something I would very much like to do but I doubt is possible, however thought I'd ask anyways. I tried searching for something like this in the forums and help, but I'm not really sure what the keywords would be if this even exists.

I have a figure that will take up a whole page in my manuscript. It needs to be close to a particular paragraph, however obviously the precise location of this paragraph will change as I edit the manuscript above the figure.

What I want is for the text on the page before the figure to flow directly to the text on the page after the figure, with no gaps. Thus ideally Mellel would figure out on the fly exactly how much text can fill the page before the figure, and adjust the text accordingly.

Anything like that possible? Does that even make sense?

Cheers!
jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Text flowing around an entire page?

Post by jannuss »

Enkidum wrote: What I want is for the text on the page before the figure to flow directly to the text on the page after the figure, with no gaps. Thus ideally Mellel would figure out on the fly exactly how much text can fill the page before the figure, and adjust the text accordingly.
Doesn't the image menu handle this?
-- insert your image and double click on it
-- for Image wrapping, select "image causes wrap

Janet
Enkidum

Post by Enkidum »

Ah, maybe this does work if I make the image a floating element? It seems to get close to the desired look, anyways.
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

Enkidum wrote:Ah, maybe this does work if I make the image a floating element? It seems to get close to the desired look, anyways.
Actually, I would have that that the in-line option would better suit your needs

Janet
Enkidum

Post by Enkidum »

Actually, I would have that that the in-line option would better suit your needs
That doesn't seem to make it possible to have the text on the previous page automatically fill to the end of the page you have to reposition the image manually to the end of the page.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

The best way I can see facilitate what you want is to craft your document, then insert the image as a floating image on a page after the start of the paragraph, and then anchor the image to that particular page and have text flow around it.

The problem with this, however, is that you change the text (or rather, the length of the document), then you need to move and re-anchor the image. As far as something that will automatically move and position the image and handle text flow, no, you cannot do that.
— Robert Cameron