Question about Live Updating with Bookends

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

laup
Knows everything, can prove it

Question about Live Updating with Bookends

Post by laup »

Live updating with Bookends works great, except that (as discussed on an earlier post) there is need for a button in Melle'ls Bibliography pane to stimulate Bookends to do its thing (e.g., update citations). However, in a document of about 120 pages with perhaps 30 graphics and 100-200 citations, I find that it takes about 8 seconds to enter a new citation or to move a citation from one place in text to another. It's essentially instantaneous with a new document and just a few citations. Is this 8-second delay normal behavior for a longish document or should I suspect some problem with the manuscript, data base, or whatever? I can turn live-update off and use it only once in awhile, so this is not a "big problem." It's just a curiosity.

P.S., I have an almost-new 2.9 MHz iMac with 8 GB of RAM so the problem is not the computer.
Paul
laup

Re: Question about Live Updating with Bookends

Post by laup »

No sooner did I post than I guessed at a solution. The Bookends developer had suggested resetting cache at 15 MB in the General pane of BOokends prefernces. I had done that, with no effect, even after quitting and reopening Bookends. However, I just tried restarting the computer because I recalled that preference changes sometimes don't change until a restart. The problem has now gone away and citation-related stuff is again functionally instantaneous.
Paul
DanZac

Re: Question about Live Updating with Bookends

Post by DanZac »

Here's to hoping the Live Bibliography with Sente will get close to instantaneous soon. I get a 5-10 second spinny ball every time I add a new citation!