Please help me with my header

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

DanZac
Knows everything, can prove it

Please help me with my header

Post by DanZac »

I'm prepping a manuscript for print, and in the header of the pages, the page number is on the outer edge, and the name of the chapter is centered in the header.

I know how to add page numbers, add the mention of the chapter title, but as for centering the chapter title and left or right justifying the page number on the same line, I'm lost.
jannuss

Re: Please help me with my header

Post by jannuss »

Dan, I use tabs: a center tab for the chapter name and a right or left tab for the page number
Janet
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

The right page is what I'm having trouble with. I've put a reverse tab in the header paragraph style at the far right side (as well as obviously a centre tab) but the page number keeps dropping to the next line.
devananda
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by devananda »

DanZac wrote:The right page is what I'm having trouble with. I've put a reverse tab in the header paragraph style at the far right side (as well as obviously a centre tab) but the page number keeps dropping to the next line.
Hello — did you try making a paragraph attribute? I don't know if this will work but you could try making a paragraph attribute with character attributes as well. Format it the way you want. Make it left or right or centered as you wish. Then when you type a word you just highlight that word and apply the paragraph attribute that you just made. It should automatically go to the left or right as you specified. You could also make a paragraph attribute for the numbers. But there is a pallet for dealing page numbering — you might have to make some adjustments there too.

— Hope what I wrote is clear and it helps
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

DanZac wrote:The right page is what I'm having trouble with. I've put a reverse tab in the header paragraph style at the far right side (as well as obviously a centre tab) but the page number keeps dropping to the next line.
There was a problem with previous versions of Mellel with right tabs at the end of a line; I don't know if this bug was ever fixed. To work around it, move your tab in so that the tab is just before the end of the page (such as 7.249" instead of 7.25").
— Robert Cameron
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

thanks rpcameron. I'm hoping that is the problem and will test when I get home
timofcanberra
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by timofcanberra »

As an alternative have you considered a 3 colum table and then just insert what is required in each cell.