Insert special characters

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

growlerbox
Got the styles thing figured out

Insert special characters

Post by growlerbox »

There is no doubt a smple answer to this question, but I can't find it in the manual: if I want to quickly insert a lower-case accented character "on the fly," as it were, is there a simple way to do this via the Insert menu? -- only upper-case letters (with the exception of c-cedille, IIRC) seem to be easily available without opening up the special characters palette.

Thanks, and sorry for the gumby question!
Bulow
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Insert special characters

Post by Bulow »

Curious! I am afraid that the simple answer is that they are not there. Has the list been accidentally shortened in a recent update of Mellel? I started up an old computer with Mellel 2.5 but there it is the same. The easy solution, and the reason why nobody seems to have noticed this, is of course to do the accents on the keyboard, but perhaps this is not obvious on an American keyboard?
Bülow
jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by jannuss »

Most of the special characters are available (in upper and lower case) on the American keyboard including a few not on the Insert list -- which is probably why no one has complained until now -- see Show keyboard viewer with the alt key pressed.

I believe the only missing character on the Insert list is "Eth"

Janet
growlerbox
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by growlerbox »

Thanks for the replies -- they prompted me to take a closer look at the Mac's built-in approaches. I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know that simply holding down a letter key triggers a small palate of relevant accented characters to appear, no matter the application.

Very simple, and explains why the Redlers didn't bother including a redundant feature.