Can Mellel "tell" Bookends to do a citation restart

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

asequeira721
New to all this

Can Mellel "tell" Bookends to do a citation restart

Post by asequeira721 »

Hi,

I am writing my PhD dissertation using Mellel / Bookends, and the Style requirement is that when a particular work is cited in multiple chapters, the citation should be in full form in each new chapter. In other words, in each chapter, every cited work should appear first in full form, and then in shortened form for subsequent references.
When a new chapter is started, Mellel restarts the footnote numbering when I insert a page break, but I need the citation format to restart as well, i.e., each work should again appear in full form the first time in each new chapter (and then in shortened form for subsequent refernces in the same chapter).

So, for example, let's say I'm citing a particular work across multiple chapters, this is how it should happen:
Chapter 1.
Example of First reference: Benjamin J. Ribbens, “Typology of Types: Typology in Dialogue,” Journal of Theological Interpretation 5 (2011): 91.
Example of Subsequent references: Ribbens, “Typology of Types,” 86–89.
Chapter 2.
Example of First Reference: Benjamin J. Ribbens, “Typology of Types: Typology in Dialogue,” Journal of Theological Interpretation 5 (2011): 87.
Example of Subsequent references: Ribbens, “Typology of Types,” 90.

Of course, Bookends itself cannot discern separate document sections within a document. Mellel would probably have to send the references to Bookends one section / chapter at a time.
I found some old threads discussing this, where the possibility of adding the feature to Mellel was listed. I'm wondering if there is already some way to cause Mellel / Bookends to do this, or if I will have to do it manually?
I'm assuming since Mellel knows how to restart the footnote numbers, then it should be able to "tell" Bookends to restart citations as well?

--If this has to be done manually, does anyone know the best and most efficient workaround? (Writing the chapters in separate documents probably won't work because it has to be a single bibliography and integrating separately created bibliographies could be very difficult).

Thanks.
timofcanberra
Got the auto-title mojo working

Re: Can Mellel "tell" Bookends to do a citation restart

Post by timofcanberra »

I suggest you ask this question on the bookends forum or send Jon a support request. I suspect you may have to create an alternate citation format.
DanZac
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Can Mellel "tell" Bookends to do a citation restart

Post by DanZac »

Out of curiosity, what style guide is this that you are following? Seems quite cumbersome!