Round trip editing equations with MathType

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

smith.samuel
New to all this

Round trip editing equations with MathType

Post by smith.samuel »

I primarily do technical writing with Mellel. Its the closest thing to FrameMaker for macOS. For me a big inconvenience of Mellel is that I can't open from Mellel a pasted in MathType equation in MathType edit it and then have it be updated in Mellel. This is the level of integration with MathType that both Pages (Numbers, Keynote) and Word provide. It would really speed up my workflow to be able to have this degree of tighter integration with MathType . Any chance of this happening?
macsailor
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Round trip editing equations with MathType

Post by macsailor »

I asked Redlers, several years ago, to try to implement LinkBack to Mellel, but problem should still be that MathType do not support LinkBack. Another is if LinkBack still is a ongoing project or not.

viewtopic.php?t=2888#p16570
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
laup
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by laup »

I agree, but the workaround is easy: (1) set the Cut and Copy preference in MathType to pdf (check a box at the bottom) and (2) copy and paste from MathType to Mellel. You can discard the MathType file because the equation can always be edited by copying it back from Mellel to MathType.

If you paste such equation into a line of Mellel text, it may need to be moved downward 3 points, which requires editing the figure in Mellel and putting in -3. If instead you have text, a carriage return, and then the equation, the spacing looks fine with my styles (it might not with someone else's).

If the MathType Cut and Copy preference is set for "Equation Object (Pict)", then the pasted equation will be aligned properly when inserted into text. However, it is not possible to move the figure back to MathType for editing.
Paul
s_A_b
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by s_A_b »

Just a heads-up about a fairly inexpensive and handy solution I've been using called "Quick Equation - Menu edition", which you can find in the App Store (no conflict of interest, completely unaffiliated). Can export equations as PDF, PNG, and LaTeX. Obviously a built-in solution within Mellel would be best...
— Simon
smith.samuel
New to all this

Post by smith.samuel »

Thanks for the help and advice. I have used the copy and paste back into MathType. Its just cumbersome. Double clicking to have the equation auto open into Mathtype and then auto update Mellel is soooo much faster. Hopefully Mellel with make it work.