Keyboard shortcut or menu item to create numbered or bulleted lists?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Tony Watkins
Got the styles thing figured out

Keyboard shortcut or menu item to create numbered or bulleted lists?

Post by Tony Watkins »

Having just got a Macbook Pro with Touch Bar for the first time, I'm setting up custom TouchBar controls using BetterTouchTool. I now have a great set of controls that do most of my common formatting/functions. Some of the buttons are replicating keyboard shortcuts, and some of them are for actions from the menus for which there is no built in shortcut. (I know I can create new shortcuts in the system preferences, but I have so many for so many apps that it becomes a problem remembering them all.) However, I have drawn a blank for creating numbered and bulleted lists. I have buttons for increasing and decreasing the level, but that's not quite enough. If I have some body text and increase the indent level, then it becomes a bulleted list, which is fine. But just as often I want to create a numbered list. I just can't see any way of changing bullets to numbers, or starting a numbered list without using the palette. Am I missing something in the menus, or is it not possible?
Tony Watkins

Re: Keyboard shortcut or menu item to create numbered or bulleted lists?

Post by Tony Watkins »

I've still not found a solution to this. There is no menu option for choosing whether to use a bulleted list or a numbered list, so it's impossible to set a keyboard shortcut. Anyone have any ideas?
WAKAMATSU

Post by WAKAMATSU »

Dear Tony,
Did not you find mellel_guide.pdf useful from help menu?
Please have a glance at
Arround PP.70
2. Lists Tasks 1. Managing Lists
Let's just hope it will turn out better.
Thx and regards, WAKAMATSU kunimitsu
Icelander
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Icelander »

There is no menu option for choosing whether to use a bulleted list or a numbered list
Styles > Edit style sets…
Click on the List button
In the small upcoming window you'll see

Bullet
Numbered
Harvard

Click on "Bullet" and drag it down below "Numbered". It should now look like this:

Numbered
Bullet
Harvard

Save the changes and close the Style sets pane.

Open the List palette. You will notice that the palette has changed to reflect the new situation.

Now, place the insertion point at the beginning of an empty line somewhere in your document. Press Command and ] (on the US or ABC extended keyboard)
This will begin a list with a number instead of a bullet.

The keyboard shortcuts for increasing, decreasing and resetting a list are set in Edit > List

Did this solve your problem?
Tony Watkins

Post by Tony Watkins »

Sorry, I missed these replies from @Wakamatsu and @Icelander.

My problem is not dealing with lists generally, but that the only keyboard shortcuts available are for increasing or decreasing the list level, or resetting it. I use both bulleted and numbered lists regularly and would like to be able to switch using the keyboard. Even better, I would like to add a TouchBar button to the BetterTouchTool set that I created for Mellel. I have a button for changing a paragraph to the first item in a bulleted list, and then I can use the keyboard shortcuts on that list, but I'd like additional buttons for other list styles. To do so requires either a keyboard shortcut or a menu item to invoke, not actions requiring a mouse.