Layout suggestion: "embedded" palettes

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

decades
New to all this

Layout suggestion: "embedded" palettes

Post by decades »

I suggest this interface design idea. I'd like to see the ability to integrate the palettes into the main layout, or at least anchor them, so that you have a more unified and concentrating workspace.
Moises Zumaeta
Got the styles thing figured out

Re: Layout suggestion: "embedded" palettes

Post by Moises Zumaeta »

I also vote for this request! I work with multiple monitors and when I drag mellel to a monitor I also feel the need to drag the palette. This is not a problem; however it is an extra step. It would be nice to have the palettes integrated with the rest of the document with the ability to turn it on and off, just like the table of contents (or similar to pages' Inspector pane).
DavidH
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by DavidH »

I was wondering how the two of you would want this to work in detail. Would you want separate copies of the palettes to be permanently visible, inspector-style, alongside each open document window? Or would you want a single palette group that jumped from place to place as different windows became active? A possible downside to either arrangement is that documents would compete with one another a little more intensely for space on the screen.
somelinguist
New to all this

Post by somelinguist »

I'm a new user to Mellel, but I think having the option to anchor/dock/embed a palette as a side bar to each window would be extremely helpful. Something similar to the way Apple's Pages app work.

In my opinion, this is the one area where Pages really excels: setting/adjusting styles and attributes. On the other hand, Pages is horrible for working with multi-lingual documents.

On the other hand, as a new user of Mellel, the ease with which I can handle multi-lingual documents in it is absolutely wonderful, and is perhaps its main draw for me.

Note: I'm saying this as both a new user and someone who works primarily with an external monitor with plenty of display space. In some ways, having only one palette on a large display with multiple documents open is a bit confusing and requires more work for me. On the other hand, I can see how having only one floating palette on small display with multiple documents might be helpful.